We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Model United Nations

I need help on my position paper, I'd be representing Finland in UNFCCC concerning Climate Change..

Should I start getting to the topic at hand? Or giving Finland's stance?

Help mee
"毎日の小さな努力の積み重ねが歴史を作っていくんだよ。"

Put a little effort everyday and it will stack up and create a foundation for you.

- Doraemon

[Image: 5bDBXB8.png] [Image: Gny2SfF.png] [Image: tUG5vUH.png]

Treasure Island Awards Best Roleplay 2020
Treasure Island Awards Best Roleplayer 2020
Cocos Winner for Best Character Writer 2017
Cocos Winner for Best International Event 2017
Cocos Winner for Best Overall RP 2017

Things to know: Medical Intern and Biomedical Scientist from Indonesia, Muslim, 188 metres tall, loves trains

I never done these kinds of things before. But good luck.

I'd say you give Finland's stance. After all, you are Finland in there, right?
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

I'm wondering about my first paragraph:

The Finnish Ministry of the Environment, known as Ympäristöministeriö Miljöministeriet, has highlighted Finland’s concern towards Climate Change, being one of the most northern country in Europe, Finland itself is sitting in the front seat of the entire effect. Based on the systematic meteorological observations initiated in 1846 by the Finnish Meteorological Institute and Societas Scientiarum Fennica - The Finnish Society of Sciences and Letters (Finska Vetenskaps-Societeten), The annual mean temperature in Finland has risen by 1.4℃, The rise in temperature is statistically significant. Warming has been greatest in the spring months. Therefore as an Annex II nation, The Republic of Finland shall devote itself into combatting climate change, we have signed the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in June 1992 and the respective legislation entered into force in 1994. In 2002, Finland ratified the Kyoto Protocol of the UNFCCC.
We shall highlight and analyze various points through the eyes of Finland, which would then woven into an idea on the solution that the council should come up with. The Republic shall not petty itself with melodrama of moral, as the only thing that would move us is relevant facts, as quoted from Charles Dickens’s Hard Times:
“Facts alone are wanted in life. Plant nothing else, and root out everything else. You can only form the minds of reasoning animals upon Facts; nothing else will ever be of any service to them.”

Put a little effort everyday and it will stack up and create a foundation for you.

- Doraemon

Things to know: Medical Intern and Biomedical Scientist from Indonesia, Muslim, 188 metres tall, loves trains

This is your first paragraph???
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

mhm

- Doraemon

This is my second, it's about the Kyoto protocol:

Past actions and Initiatives

Kyoto Protocol
The Kyoto Protocol was ratified by Finland in 2002, and as a nation in the EU-15 class, an annex I classification and an annex B party, The Republic is actively working towards fulfilling its commitments under the Kyoto Protocol. According to the protocol, all parties are obliged to report regularly (every 3–4 years) on the steps they are taking to implement the Convention and the Kyoto Protocol. Finland has continued to go through the agreed clauses of the protocol, one of which is the fact that Finland’s Green House Gas (GHG) emissions have been lower if not hitting the agreed target level in the Kyoto Protocol. Fundamental parts in the Kyoto Protocol that Finland wishes to be kept close by the council meeting in September are, but not limited to: its goals to decrease emission (Bringing national average annual emissions down to their 1990 level in the 2008–2012 period.), Article 6‘s ‘Joint Implementation’ (“Any Annex I party may transfer to, or acquire from, any other such Party emission reduction units resulting from projects aimed at reducing anthropogenic emissions by sources or enhancing anthropogenic removals[...]in any sector of the economy”) and the Clean Development Mechanism (Assist Parties not included in Annex I in achieving sustainable development, contributing to the ultimate objective of the Convention, and to assist Parties included in Annex I in achieving compliance with their quantified emission limitation and reduction commitments). Though there are many fundamental points in the Kyoto Protocol, it lacked support from emerging economies like India, China and The United States of America. USA has yet to ratify the protocol, and India and China have no obligations at all regarding the Kyoto Protocol. There are still many that disagree with the protocol, and after careful consideration, we consider that the root of the problem is the “Common but Differentiated Responsibilities” principle, that holds major emission producers like USA accountable for the entire dilemma, making the burden uneven throughout member states. Therefore, The Republic of Finland would raise a point on wether the principle is necessary for the UNFCCC.

- Doraemon

I think you should start with the most eye-catching facts, like about annual mean temperature to grab the reader's attention. Then you present supporting facts and who is behind them, and then what Finland in particular wants to do and what has already been done (different commitments and plans). Sum it up and put emphasis on what Finland in particular has achieved and what it thinks should be achieved. Hope this makes sense Smile

A note: Finland has two official languages, Finnish (94% native) and Swedish (5% native). Ministry of the Environment is Ympäristöministeriö in Finnish and Miljöministeriet in Swedish. The Finnish Society of Sciences and Letters is called Finska Vetenskaps-Societeten in Swedish and (apparently) Suomen Tiedeseura in Finnish, if you want continuity.
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

I mended it, what do you think?

The annual mean temperature in Finland has risen by 1.4°C, almost a degree higher than the average global temperature rise, which is 0.8°C. This fact was based on the systematic meteorological observations initiated in 1846 by the Finnish Meteorological Institute and Societas Scientiarum Fennica - The Finnish Society of Sciences and Letters (Suomen Tiedeseura). The Finnish Ministry of the Environment, known as Ympäristöministeriö Miljöministeriet, has highlighted Finland’s concern towards Climate Change, being one of the most northern country in Europe, Finland itself is sitting in the front seat of the entire effect. The rise in temperature is statistically significant, for warming has been greatest in the spring months. Therefore as an Annex I nation, The Republic of Finland shall devote itself into combatting climate change, we have signed the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in June 1992 and the respective legislation entered into force in 1994. In 2002, Finland ratified the Kyoto Protocol of the UNFCCC.
We shall highlight and analyze various points through the eyes of Finland, which would then woven into an idea on the solution that the council should come up with. The Republic shall not petty itself with factless melodrama of feelings and moral, as the only thing that would move us is relevant facts, as quoted from Charles Dickens’s Hard Times:
“Facts alone are wanted in life. Plant nothing else, and root out everything else. You can only form the minds of reasoning animals upon Facts; nothing else will ever be of any service to them.”

- Doraemon

In MUN your position paper should include an analysis on past international actions. The page count in 2, and I would need to choose from these 4 conventions, I could only take 3 to conserve page space (Unless you can shave off some things in the Kyoto Protocol paragraph)

1. Kyoto Protocol (The one that started it all)
2. Cancun Agreements (The one that gives a huge amendment to Kyoto Protocol)
3. Bonn Agreements (The latest convention that took place)
4. European Climate Change and Energy Package (It immediately relates to Finland and the EU, also a meeting where the UN does not preside)

- Doraemon

any of your given paragraphs could be my entire paper. O_o
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."