We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

War on Terror

Two days ago, the Taliban took over the city of Kunduz. In my opinion, this is just one of the several foreign policy errors of the Obama Administration. We may have gone to Iraq for the wrong reasons, but to pull out in 2011 was just wrong because it gave way to ISIS. The same is being experienced in Afghanistan. After declaring the United States-led War in Afghanistan over in December 2014, it gave way to the Taliban insurgency. What do you make of the developing situation?
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

Well, its our mess. To begin with, we should help these nations and fix our errors. Restructure their system. Quell their anger. Do something to stabilize that region!
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

It's not our mess, it's the mess of the European powers when they decided to cut up the Middle East for oil interests back in the 1910's and 1920's.

My History

Then, it's the mess of Apes in Africa who decided to evolve into humans and expand themselves to the entire world.

You're not getting the point. This all goes back to the League of Nations mandate of 1919. If that mandate never happened, the following would have never happened:
  • the 1953 coup d'état in Iran: the U.S. and U.K under Eisenhower and Churchill overthrow democratically-elected Mohammad Mosaddegh most likely for oil
  • the Saur Revolution: the 1978 power struggle in Afghanistan may have never happened
  • the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan: because the 1978 Saur Revolution never happened, Russia never got involved in Afghanistan
  • the Iran–Iraq War: we would have been on Iran's side, taking out Saddam Hussein in the process
  • the Gulf War: because Saddam Hussein was taken out in the Iran–Iraq War, the Gulf War would have never happened
  • the September 11, 2001 attacks: because the Gulf War never happened, bin Laden wouldn't have been interested in attacking us
Because September 11, 2001 never happened, we would have never been in Iraq or Afghanistan, nor would we have to fight ISIS, al-Qaeda, or the Taliban, because they would have never existed if it weren't for the League of Nations mandate. However, this theory is incomplete, because it does not mention Libya, Syria, Egypt, or other events that would have also never happened.

My History

But what would have caused that mandate to not pass?

History is curious in that you can trace blame back for centuries. Steady, JC.

Probably if the Republicans of that era actually compromised with President Woodrow Wilson to make sure that Europe does not take advantage of the League of Nations.

My History

Wait, the mandate did not reach Iran!

Did it?
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

It would have been involved though.

My History

Damned if you intervene, damned if you don't, huh?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System