We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

TSP Advent Calendar 2015 Day 3

Hello everyone!

Welcome to Day 3 of TSP's Advent Calendar!!! Today we have an excellent idea from Ollenalia who has suggested we all pick a Christmas song or Carol from our home-country and share it we everyone here! This way NationStates will really be international and all borders shall be strut down. Now I think we should also give a quick wee bit of history of the Christmas Carol or song we chose to pick or just a wee bit of history on how your country celebrates Christmas. 

Now in Scotland we have no Christmas Carols as they were outlawed by The Kirk (The Scottish Church) as it was a Catholic Service. Christmas was not allowed to be celebrated starting in the 16th century as it is celebrating the birth of Christ. Now it wasn't until the 1958s that Christmas became a holiday in Scotland and it wasn't until 1974 that Boxing Day became a holiday I believe however I think it may have even been later! Now we do celebrate Christmas as the American's do, but it's still not considered a major holiday. Hogmanay on the other hand or New Years to you, is a very large and a much bigger holiday than Christmas and by much bigger Christmas is consider a very small holiday compared to Hogmanay. Therefore I am going to bend the rules slightly (don't get mad!!) and show you Auld Lang Syne.

There for those of know who don't know what the words mean I've picked the song with English Translation. (Even that song is not the original, some words have been changed!)

So please tell us all about Christmas traditions in your country and leave a video or a link to video of a Christmas song or carol from your country! 

Tommorow we shall have Day 4 of the Christmas Advent Calandar, I hope you are currently enjoying this years and remember if you have an idea don't be afraid to say as yours just like Ollenalia may end up being publsihed!
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

Not from my country, but Stille Nacht is a must.

<33

Here's a Christmas carol from Venezuela; Corre Caballito ("Run, little horse").

Venezuela is a very Catholic country, so the religious part of Christmas is very important here (and most of the carols are nativity themed). For example, the one who delivers gifts is Baby Jesus ("El Niño Jesús"), and going to mass on Christmas Eve (Nochebuena) is an important tradition.
RandomGuy199
Representative of the Federal Republic of Karnetvor
Resident Venezuelan/Lampshade Bar & Grill Manager- The South Pacific
Soldier, South Pacific Special Forces

"You're talkin' to the Rolex wearin', diamond ring wearin', kiss stealin', wheelin' n' dealin', limousine ridin', jet flyin', son of a gun, and I'm having a hard time keeping these alligators down!"

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair

Hello! I will post this on the next day's advent in case you don't see this one.
On my advent calendar, the December 1st pouch , which I actually didn't open until yesterday, contained one of those infamous beat-your-head-against-the-wall sliding puzzles. I found an online version here, in case you wanted some pulling-hair-out-of-your-head fun experience this season.
http://mypuzzle.org/sliding

Sweden

Jul, jul, strålande jul

(English: Christmas, Christmas, glorious Christmas)

Short explanation stolen from Wikipedia: The song was one of the most common Christmas carols in Sweden during the 20th century. The lyrics describe Christmas as white, then snow-filled, and depict the rest of Christmas blessings with a wish that Christmas brings light and peace.
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

I do wish we had Christmas songs and Carols in Scotland.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

Huehueheuheuheueue
http://www.pipesofchristmas.com/

<33