We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

The Panama Papers

If you do not already know, there has been a huge leak on offshore tax havens. I have known that this was true, but there is finally proof of it.

https://panamapapers.icij.org/
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

I don't expect some, if not many, nations to do anything. Sure, some NGOs and some irrelevant nations will complain, but many nations per se, either Western or Eastern, relevant or irrelevant, will turn a blind eye. If they don't, I'll be happy.

But maybe fate holds another answer.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

99% of what's in them looks like stuff that was already known, just ignored. It will continue to be ignored in most cases.

The only genuinely new stuff is specific details of the financial arrangements of certain individuals, like Putin. Stuff we already suspected/knew, but now we know the details.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Well, hello FIFA scandal act.... 7?
An eye for an eye just makes the whole world go blind.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Panama Papers: Leaks spur global investigations - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-35960329

Yeehaw!
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

(04-03-2016, 04:20 PM)Belschaft Wrote: 99% of what's in them looks like stuff that was already known, just ignored. It will continue to be ignored in most cases.

The only genuinely new stuff is specific details of the financial arrangements of certain individuals, like Putin. Stuff we already suspected/knew, but now we know the details.

Contrary to what you said, the Iceland PM has resigned over this, meaning that the Panama Papers will have a profound effect over global politics for some time.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

Putin, Azerbaijan's President, Iceland's PM, China's Politburo, FIFA, and more still to come..... How long do you think this guy was building all of this up? I mean, there must be, like, at least a decade's worth of documents in those 11 million files.
An eye for an eye just makes the whole world go blind.
~Mahatma Gandhi

I don't think "Iceland" and "profound effect over global politics" have ever been used in the same sentence before....
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Not only that. Saudi Arabia's King, Bashar Al-Assad, North Korean firms, Gaddafi, Husni Mubarak, Pakistani officials, UAE's President, Messi, etc.

(04-05-2016, 03:59 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I don't think "Iceland" and "profound effect over global politics" have ever been used in the same sentence before....

I busted out laughing at this more than I should, or could, have.
ProfessorHenn
Legislator