We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[IC][FT - 472 GE]The Distant Star Incident

Transmission from Deep Space Exploration Ship Distant Star
Science Officer's Log
11 Eldraim Syota, 349 NMC (472 GE)
En Route to Subsector Aphio 75+0 7422LL

"It's been four days since the probe returned from sector 75+0 and I can still scarcely believe what has transpired. The probe carried with it evidence of an unidentified radio signal from deep space which it had interpreted as evidence of a possible civilization. While such events are not unprecedented, however subsequent events have lead me to believe this time may be different. As of this recording two more probes have returned, each having detected further radio signals. Despite being separated by hundreds of light years, each signal is the same. Different points of origin, yet each one transmitted the same repeating signal. I believe this to be evidence of an as of yet unidentified spacefaring civilization.

As of this transmission I have been forced to declare First Contact Protocol. We have set course for the location found by the first probe where we will search for this civilization and attempt to contact them if they exist. Aphio Fleet should receive this message before the end of the month, and if all goes well we will rendezvous by the end of next month. Otherwise... we can only pray that we do not find Humans."

Revenge! This was no doubt payback for her getting the old house by the lake instead of him. Captain Loom of the Irtee, a Treecu remote surveillance cruiser, angrily pushed the button that controlled window shielding in her ready room, which immediately prompted a thick plate of metal to block the window and her view of empty, boring space. A couple of Candact rotations earlier she and her childhood friend had raced to the Housing Office to get the house they both had wanted for years. She beat him to it and got the contract. He didn't show it openly, but he felt a little betrayed. Outranking her in the Treecu Remote Forces, he had sent her and her ship to the most remote system in the Empire - the Yim-Lootuu System, or with the even more boring name AZ1218II841.

At a first glance, this would have been a great honour. Being in Yim-Lootu placed her at the centre of the primary direction of Treecu expansion. But there was a reason for expanding primarily in that particular direction - fewer inhabited worlds, meaning there was very little else for Loom and her crew to do than to conduct remote scans and occasionally land on yet another boring barren moon. And placing border buoys. She sighed.
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

Transmission from Deep Space Exploration Ship Distant Star
Science Officer's Log
26 Eldraim Syota, 349 NMC (472 GE)
Inner System of Aphio 75+0 7422LL M4

"We have arrived in Subsector 7422LL, in the system closest to the signal location. Our initial scans show a relatively unremarkable dwarf star system with no immediate signs of civilization. We have set course in a low wake jump towards the radio source itself, deep inside the outer system. At low wake speeds we should arrive in a day. If there are aliens out there they will soon know we are here.

The crew has been deep in speculation these past weeks. The rumour of an old Imperial Modian colony in this sector has proven rather persistent. One of the ship's engineers were so convinced the signal was human they nearly destroyed our FSD. Despite our doomsayers I haven't seen morale this high since we left, nor have I ever seen so many science fiction marathons."

"That's the last one for today. T'tee, standard communications test. Helm, come about, set course for YL2-1, speed at 60%." Captain Loom sat comfortably in her command chair on the bridge. The Irtee had placed the last border buoy they had brought from Yim-Lootuu Colonial Station 1, located on the most promising world in the system, a medium-sized moon orbiting a blue gas giant. Back there more buoys were waiting to be picked up.

"Ready", the helmsman responded.
"Execute."

Next, the moment of space travel Loom always enjoyed was to come - going to warp speed. First the distant stars became distorted, then there always was a magnificent display of colours. Too bad her science officer was only saw in black and white, he would have enjoyed it, she thought to herself.

"Captain, incoming transmission", the communications officer looked up from her display.
"Helm, abort. Full stop. Could it be the Ilctane already?"
"Actually, yes", the communications officer replied.
"Well, let's hear."

The communications officer pushed a button and nodded. A smaller screen mounted to the captain's chair lit up. A man sitting in a chair of the same design as Loom's appeared and spoke up.

"Captain! It's most agreeable to see an unfamiliar face."
"Welcome back, captain...?"
"Tirku Mas."

"I'm Poov Loom. What's new from the wild, brave expanses?"
"Let's discuss it over a meal. On you. Assuming you're not on rations as well?"
Loom laughed and replied. "Join me at YL2-1. I'll have a full Gatychs prepared for you."
"Please, don't be afraid to put the full range of spices in."

The Ilctane had been out exploring distant systems for almost a full year. The fact that they had returned early meant that they had found suitable new systems to colonise. Without sapients.

"Loom", Mas continued, "I don't mean to be rude, but does your buoy function correctly?"
"T'tee?" Loom asked.
"It's operating as specified."
"Mas, did you get that?"
"Yes. But we're getting some pretty strange readings over here. Like a signal."
"Perhaps your equipment needs an overhaul after the long mission?"
"Perhaps..."
"Let YL2-1 have a look. But first, dinner! How far away are you?"
"We are eager to get home. At maximum speed, well before chef goes to bed."

"Alright. See you there, captain! Irtee out."
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

Log Recovered from Deep Space Exploration Ship Distant Star
Science Officer's Log
27 Eldraim Syota, 349 NMC (472 GE)
Outer System of Aphio 75+0 7422LL M4

"We reached the origin of the signal, what appears to be some kind of beacon, several minute ago. Despite our best efforts we just don’t have enough information to translate the message.

The silence is terrifying. Who built this, and what is its purpose? We’ve heard nothing since we arrived in this system. Was it an invitation or a warning? Have we walked into a trap? And why is it so far in deep space, is it possible they do not even use the Loviak Drive? Could they be watching us even now, hidden from view? Or perhaps we have been unknowingly pursued this whole time by a ship in FTL? My fears seem to be spreading to the rest of the crew, perhaps I need to rest while we process the initial "

"20 seconds!" the helmsman yelled. The last hour had felt like an eternity. On their way back to the Colonial Station, the Irtee had received a message that an unidentified entity had been detected near a border buoy. Capitan Loom had decided to intercept immediately, and had ordered the Ilctane to do the same. They were now at maximum speed, and the Irtee would be the first ship to arrive.

"10 seconds!"

While science officer T'tee prepared first contact communications, the others on the bridge had been engaged in heated debate about what they might encounter, and why it was there. One thing was clear, it didn't belong in Treecu space, and certainly not near a buoy.

"5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Coming to full stop!"

The Irtee seemingly simply popped into existence one kilometre away from the alien entity.

"On screen", ordered Loom. What they saw on the screen confirmed that they had arrived directly behind the the vessel, with their own front pointing directly to its back.

"What is that thing?!" the helmsman stared at the screen with his mouth open.

"That, my friend, is a warp ship!" said T'tee.

"Not from any world we know, that's for sure", Loom added. "Well, T'tee, time for your magic. Give them 15 minutes to reply."

T'tee pressed two buttons on his panel. It prompted the computer to execute a series of preprogrammed actions. First, mathematical and physical universal constants were transmitted using different numeral systems, then a sentence in Treecu, Limavu, T'eetach and a few other "subject languages" was transmitted. A signal was embedded in the transmission that constantly decreased in intensity and would fade out totally in 15 minutes. Then a flat surface on the front of the Irtee lit up and displayed a series of pictures.

The first picture showed the star and its system, and a network of dots connected by a line. The star and the planets were all marked by the same symbol, a mathematical pattern based on prime numbers. The screen zoomed in on a specific dot, soon evidently the buoy they were close to. The same mathematical pattern appeared on the buoy, and from it, a line stretched out to the edges of the screen. Next picture showed the alien ship and the Treecu ship on the same side of the line, positioned like they were at the moment. The Treecu ship was marked with the same pattern as previously. The last series of pictures showed how the alien ship crossed the line while the Treecu remained where it was. The last picture showed simplified waves coming from both ships across the line.

"Let's hope they have eyes!" said T'tee and smiled nervously.
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator