We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[WITHDRAWN] Office of the Parliamentarian Act

Office of the Parliamentarian Act
An Act to establish the Office of the Parliamentarian of the Assembly and the powers and responsibilities thereof

1. General Provisions and Definitions

(1) This Act may be cited as the Office of the Parliamentarian Act.

(2) The Parliamentarian shall mean the Parliamentarian of the Assembly as established under this Act.

2. Office of the Parliamentarian

(1) The Parliamentarian shall be appointed by the Chair of the Assembly and they shall serve at the pleasure of the Chair of the Assembly, who shall have the power to dismiss them whenever deemed necessary.

(2) The qualification of a Parliamentarian shall be as follows:
a. They shall be a citizen of The South Pacific;
b. They shall be a legislator of The South Pacific;
c. They shall have good knowledge of the laws of The South Pacific and the rules and procedures of the the Assembly as determined by the Chair.

(3) Should this position be vacant, the Chair of the Assembly shall, with all practicable speed, appoint another qualified legislator to become the Parliamentarian.

(4) The Parliamentarian shall be one of the deputies appointed by the Chair of the Assembly.

3. Powers and Responsibilities of the Parliamentarian

(1) As established under this Act, the Parliamentarian shall be responsible for:
a. Informing, assisting, and supporting the new legislators of the Assembly in matters pertinent to the Assembly.
b. Being a representative of the new legislators to both the Assembly and the Government as a whole.

(2) The Parliamentarian may serve as the Chair pro tempore, and shall, in the vacancy or absence of the Chair, hold the office and execute the powers and duties thereof in a temporary manner until a replacement is found.

Why can't the Chair be trusted to do this themselves, or pick their own deputy on their own will? Under this, will the Chair be legally allowed to welcome and inform new legislators?

(04-25-2018, 03:38 AM)nakari Wrote: Why can't the Chair be trusted to do this themselves, or pick their own deputy on their own will? Under this, will the Chair be legally allowed to welcome and inform new legislators?

The office of the Parliamentarian is to be established with its purpose to assist legislators new to the Assembly and inform them on matters pertinent to this legislature. Neither the Chair or the Legislator Committee will see their powers and responsibilities being stripped should this Act pass the Assembly. The "powers" and responsibilities of the Parliamentarian as established under this Act are not within the jurisdiction of the Legislator Committee or the Chair. 

No section of the Legislator Committee Act require thereof to assist legislators new to the Assembly and inform them on matters pertinent to this legislature. And same for the Legislative Procedures Act, no part in that Act require the Chair to execute the powers and duties which will be given to the Parliamentarian under this Act, therefore it is reasonable to establish the office of the Parliamentarian and bestow on them the power and duties as established under this Act.

The Chair shall nevertheless be able to welcome and inform new legislators and pick their own deputies on their own will as no section in this Act forbid the Chair from welcoming new legislators or their power to appoint whomever they want to become their deputies. As I've said and I will repeat, this Act will not strip any power from the Chair or the Legislator Committee. This Act will ensure the proper functioning of not only the Assembly, but also will help legislators to ensure the proper functioning of their office.

Your bill requires the Parlamentarían to be both a citizen and a legislator. Are there any cases of non-citizen legislators?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Aside from "welcoming" people what would the Parlimentarian actually do? This seems to be a complete non-job.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

This appears to me as adding an unnecessary job. Like Venezuela's state oil company adding thousands of jobs, whilst output and revenue remained largely the same.

I recall MoRA being responsible for overseeing and encouraging RP. Yet, for ages, it neglected that area, as the local population independently created our roleplay instead. Perhaps a mentorship, like they do in Europeia, is more acceptable? This mentorship would be done by LegCom.

And why the succession section? One of the things I would like to criticize about this bill is that most of the text is not about this Parliamentarian's intended functions, but about the rules, succession and whatnot regarding this position. The actual functions look like a footnote compared to the block of text. I may be exaggerating, however, so, ignore this.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

Look here’s the thing: the CoA can have one of their deputies welcome new legislators, we don’t need a new position to do that. Secondly, enough people here know the laws and the procedures of this chamber that should something go wrong, I would have complete faith that a Point of Order would be raised by a legislator. We don’t have extensive rules and this law effectively does nothing that can’t already be done. As such, if this makes it to the floor for a vote I will be voting against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

I wouldn't be so quick to call this act unnecessary. I believe that when it comes to welcoming new legislators and getting them into the meat of TSP's laws and practices we should support a system that gets the job done rather then allowing the job to get done. Sure the CoA has the 'ability' to appoint a legislator that will do these things but should this bill pass, it will change that into a requirement of the CoA. This will ensure that the roll is always filled. Rather then leaving it up to our CoA, I believe we should leave it u to our laws to ensure that the CoA's of the future act on important issues like this. New legislators will always need someone to turn to and supporting them by giving them an official face they can call on for support is not a bad thing in the least.
Greetings, I am The Serres Republic.

Currently 'The Future Greatest and Most Splendid General of All TSP.'

I know you all look forward to when I complete my grand quest ;P.

Official ‘Most Dedicated Raider’ in all of TSP. Look at me all evil and shtuff ;P

Heck I was MoFA, Now Im PM. I must be loved owo

(04-25-2018, 08:27 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: Your bill requires the Parlamentarían to be both a citizen and a legislator. Are there any cases of non-citizen legislators?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

I am not aware of any cases of non-citizen legislators.
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

(04-25-2018, 09:18 AM)Belschaft Wrote: Aside from "welcoming" people what would the Parlimentarian actually do? This seems to be a complete non-job.

Aside from welcoming new legislators, the Parliamentarian is responsible for informing those new legislators on matters relating to the Assembly such as laws of the region and the rules and procedures of the Assembly, as well as assisting those legislators during their first days or weeks and answer their questions if they have any. The benefit of this act is that it'll be a comprehensive answer to the problem.
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy