We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[FAILED] The Commendation/Censure Act

The Commendation/Censure Act
An act to allow the Assembly to Commend or Censure individuals or groups.
1. Commendation

(1) A commendation shall express the satisfaction or pleasure of the Assembly as a whole towards any government, group, or individual

(2) A commendation shall be awarded after a simple majority vote to Commend.

(3) Any legislator may suggest a commendation towards any government, group, or individual for any reason.

(4) A commendation shall not be considered to be an award for any government, group, or individual and shall only represent the Assembly's opinion

2. Censure

(1) A censure shall express dissatisfaction or displeasure of the Assembly as a whole towards any government, group, or individual

(2) A censure shall be awarded after a simple majority vote to Censure.

(3) Any legislator may suggest to censure any government, group, or individual for any reason.

(4) A censure shall not be considered to express guilt of any crime for any government, group, or individual and shall only represent the Assembly's opinion
[-] The following 4 users Like islands_of_unity's post:
  • Amerion, Bzerneleg, Ferry Islands, Seraph

No. Just, no. I am part of the Assembly, and if I don't want to condemn or commend anyone, yet if the Assembly votes for such things, I will be part of a body that may have condemned a person I like, or commended a person I absolutely detest.

And the fact that the vague clause on Article 3.3 says that a censored TSPer can be faced with an undefined action does not inspire confidence.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ryccia's post:
  • Rebeltopia

(10-19-2018, 08:59 PM)Ryccia Wrote: No. Just, no. I am part of the Assembly, and if I don't want to condemn or commend anyone, yet if the Assembly votes for such things, I will be part of a body that may have condemned a person I like, or commended a person I absolutely detest.

And the fact that the vague clause on Article 3.3 says that a censored TSPer can be faced with an undefined action does not inspire confidence.

*censured 

Also while I agree that this act opens up the opportunity for something like that to happen, I doubt the partisan divide in the south pacific is deep enough for the assembly as a whole to commend or censure somebody who isnt widely agreed to be commendable or censurable

My thoughts in bullet point format:
  • I principally have no issue with something like this.
  • I do question whether it's strictly necessary - given the (almost) non-binding nature of it, these things can be done simply through assembly resolutions. It's just that nobody has done so.
  • 3.3 - what sort of action would the Chair or LegComm be allowed to do as a result of a commendation? Or a censure, for that matter? I do take issue with this part, especially since it's so vague (as Ryccia mentioned)
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • Seraph

*Cough* Timscade incident *Cough* You vs. Roavin *COUGH COUGH*
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

(10-19-2018, 09:06 PM)Roavin Wrote: My thoughts in bullet point format:
  • I principally have no issue with something like this.
  • I do question whether it's strictly necessary - given the (almost) non-binding nature of it, these things can be done simply through assembly resolutions. It's just that nobody has done so.
  • 3.3 - what sort of action would the Chair or LegComm be allowed to do as a result of a commendation? Or a censure, for that matter? I do take issue with this part, especially since it's so vague (as Ryccia mentioned)

3.3 is something I was worried about as well. It's overall the one part of the bill that im not absolutely married to. 
I do think the nonbinding part of the bill is a feature that makes it more palatable, we could proscribe a region if we wanted, but that could be considered a step too far- in such a case a censure would make more sense. The same in the other direction with the LoH and commendations
(I dont think it's neccisarily needed fully, as this simple legislative ability is inherent in most legislatures, but having it explicitly legal will allow it to happen unquestioned or uncontested)

(3) Any member of The South Pacific who is censured may face action by the Chair or the Legcomm, including temporary suspension of legislator status.

The Chair can already do this to legislators if their behaviour is bad enough. By making the criteria as vague as 'a majority of the region doesn't like them' and then giving Chair + Legcomm free will over whether to enforce it... I think this gives way too much power to Chair + Legcomm.

Also, if the person censured isn't a legislator, can anything happen to them?
[-] The following 4 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Belschaft, Ryccia, Seraph, USoVietnam

(10-19-2018, 09:17 PM)Nakari Wrote: (3) Any member of The South Pacific who is censured may face action by the Chair or the Legcomm, including temporary suspension of legislator status.

The Chair can already do this to legislators if their behaviour is bad enough. By making the criteria as vague as 'a majority of the region doesn't like them' and then giving Chair + Legcomm free will over whether to enforce it... I think this gives way too much power to Chair + Legcomm.

Also, if the person censured isn't a legislator, can anything happen to them?
That is something that I considered. And yes maybe a censure or commendation towards a non tsp citizen or legislator is unenforceable, but I think that works with the nonbinding nature of the bill

I'd remove 3.3 and then fold 3.1 and 3.2 into their corresponding articles so that there's only two. Otherwise my only issues that would remain are minor formatting things.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

If a legislator happens to be behaving appallingly, does this bill not restrict the Chair's authority to maintain order and decorum in a timely manner?