We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[WITHDRAWN] AB1906.02: Amendment to Articles one and two: Legislator Committee Act

Folks, this is my first attempt at authoring a piece of legislation. Please feel free to give me a good ticking off if I have completed this in an erroneous manner.

This is my second and final draft of this legislation. Please regard this as the amendment that is being debated.
(06-12-2019, 05:22 PM)Ski Slopes of Agalaesia Wrote:
Quote:
Legistlator Committee Act
1. Scope

(2)  a. The Legislator Committee comprises three  six legislators that have each been appointed by the cabinet and approved by the assembly via a simple majority vote.
b. One member of the Legislator Committee must be part of the South Pacific Special Forces. This legislator will be responsible for processing applications for legislatorship created in the applications for the SPSF. 
c. One member of the Legislator Committee must be a member of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This legislator will be responsible for processing applications for legislatorhip created through applications for the MoFA. 
d. One member of the Legislator Committee must be a member of the Ministry of Regional Affairs. This legislator will be responsible for processing applications for legislatorship created through applications for the MoRA.
e. Three members of the Legislator Committee will be responsible for processing applications made through the Welcoming and Registration Center, and will be responsible for legislator checks.

2. Legislator Applications

(2) a. A member of the Coalition may attain legislator status through an application with the Legislator Committee.
b. These applications can be made when applying for a position in a ministry, provided that the applicants opt in for a legislatorship application. Applications can also be made in the Welcoming and Registration Center  on the South Pacific Forums. c. It is the responsibility of the Legislator committee to ensure that the questions asked in the applications remain consistent when applying for legislatorship through the  the MoRA; the MofA or the SPSF.d.The Committee shall confirm the reception of an application within 48 hours. The Committee will determine the eligibility of the applicant, consulting any other institutions of the Coalition as needed to inform its decision, and shall strive to accept or deny each applicant within a week. 

I hope that this makes it clearer. 

This was my first try:
Quote:
Legislator Committee Act
1. Scope

(2)  a. The Legislator Committee comprises three  six legislators that have each been appointed by the cabinet and approved by the assembly via a simple majority vote.
b. At least one member of the Legislator Committee must be part of the South Pacific Special Forces
c. At least one member of the Legislator Committee must be a member of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs 
d. At least one member of the Legislator Committee must be a member of the Ministry of Regional Affairs

(1) Any member of the Coalition is eligible to attain legislator status if
a. the Legislator Committee does not opine that they are seeking membership in bad faith,
b. they have a nation in the South Pacific,
c. they are a member of the South Pacific Special Forces
d. they are a member of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
e. they are a member of the Ministry of Regional Affairs
c.f.are not attempting to join with multiple nations or identities, and
d.  g. are not considered by the Council on Regional Security to be a significant risk to regional security.

(2) A member of the Coalition may attain legislator status through an application with the Legislator Committee. It is the responsibility of the Legislator committee to ensure that the applications remain consistent when applying for the MoRA; the MofA or the SPSF. The Committee shall confirm the reception of an application within 48 hours. The Committee will determine the eligibility of the applicant, consulting any other institutions of the Coalition as needed to inform its decision, and shall strive to accept or deny each applicant within a week.

I firmly believe that this piece of legislation would make life much easier for citizens of The South Pacific as a whole. It would minimise the amount of applications that applicants will be required to complete, therefore making the systems less complicated and unnavigable. It would also allow applicants to post applications to Gameside members of the LegComm (through the MoRA), presumably increasing the number of legislators.

This would make things clear:
(06-12-2019, 02:57 PM)Ski Slopes of Agalaesia Wrote: I believe that the LegComm should have at least one member from at least each ministry because it would allow people to apply under the forum of their respective ministries, making it easier for the LegComm to dole out the work in equal portions. I hope this would make it easier for the LegComm to collect gameside applications for legislatorship, and it would make the process of joining the forums easier for newer members, especially if we create a dispatch to explain the workings of TSP and TG it to them. 

I don't think that it would be made more difficult to apply to certain ministries. They ministries may have their own policies as to who to accept. The LegComm member from all of these ministries would just make sure that the application is standardised (that it includes the questions stated in the basic guidelines for applications in the Legiator Committee act), and that the application is fit for legislatorship. Ministries may tag their own questions onto the basic questions, and may accept nations even if the LegComm does not. The LegComm would act as an independent entity to the ministry.

Nothing would happen to the legislators who don't want to become part of any ministry. They could just apply in the usual fashion. This piece of legislation is to make it easier for newer players to join and would create a 'one application fits all' process. Legislatorship would be optional if you are applying as part of a ministry. 
Sad

Aga/Eunopiar

Mostly does boring things.
[-] The following 3 users Like Aga's post:
  • Divine Owl, Roavin, USoVietnam

Congratulations on your first attempt at legislation! We are all glad that you've taken this step and wish you the best moving forward. I have a couple of questions:
  • Why do you want the Legislator Committee to have at least one member from each ministry?
  • Why do you believe that Regional Affairs has a significantly higher number of gameside members, compared to other ministries?
  • Since legislator status requires a thorough background check, would this not make it more difficult for members to participate in a ministry, even if they do not wish to become legislators?
  • What would you do with members who wish to become legislators, particularly those who enjoy drafting and debating laws, but do not wish to participate in any of the ministries?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 2 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • Aga, USoVietnam

Thank You!

I believe that the LegComm should have at least one member from at least each ministry because it would allow people to apply under the forum of their respective ministries, making it easier for the LegComm to dole out the work in equal portions. I hope this would make it easier for the LegComm to collect gameside applications for legislatorship, and it would make the process of joining the forums easier for newer members, especially if we create a dispatch to explain the workings of TSP and TG it to them. 

I don't think that it would be made more difficult to apply to certain ministries. They ministries may have their own policies as to who to accept. The LegComm member from all of these ministries would just make sure that the application is standardised (that it includes the questions stated in the basic guidelines for applications in the Legiator Committee act), and that the application is fit for legislatorship. Ministries may tag their own questions onto the basic questions, and may accept nations even if the LegComm does not. The LegComm would act as an independent entity to the ministry.

Nothing would happen to the legislators who don't want to become part of any ministry. They could just apply in the usual fashion. This piece of legislation is to make it easier for newer players to join and would create a 'one application fits all' process.

I think that MoRA has got a larger gameside membership because it seems to tickle the interests of gameside members more.
Aga/Eunopiar

I’m not clear if you’re attempting to tie ministry membership and legislator status together, or if you’re simply seeking to add an optional section about ministry membership to the legislator application. Perhaps you could clarify that?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

What about those who wish to join a ministry but not become legislators?

Legal Resources:

Legilatorship would be optional if you are registering as part of a ministry. Apologies for not making this clear.
Aga/Eunopiar

Just wanted to say - in terms of style, format, and your explanations, this is a great start into Assembly business Smile
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 5 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Aga, Divine Owl, Omega, Rebeltopia, Seraph

Here’s a question then. Would your goal be addressed by adding an optional “ministry registration” section to the legislator application?

Legal Resources:

(06-12-2019, 04:02 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: Here’s a question then. Would your goal be addressed by adding an optional “ministry registration” section to the legislator application?

That could be an option, yes. It could work the other way around, though. This is mainly introduced to make it easier for gameside members to be introduced to the forums in an easier way. It must be considered, however, that a ministry may wish for a legislaor to answer extra questions about themselves.

I shall draft up a clearer version of this
Aga/Eunopiar

Quote: 
Legistlator Committee Act
1. Scope

b. One member of the Legislator Committee must be part of the South Pacific Special Forces. This legislator will be responsible for processing applications for legislatorship created in the applications for the SPSF. 
c. One member of the Legislator Committee must be a member of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. This legislator will be responsible for processing applications for legislatorhip created through applications for the MoFA. 
d. One member of the Legislator Committee must be a member of the Ministry of Regional Affairs. This legislator will be responsible for processing applications for legislatorship created through applications for the MoRA.
e. Three members of the Legislator Committee will be responsible for processing applications made through the Welcoming and Registration Center, and will be responsible for legislator checks.

(2) a. A member of the Coalition may attain legislator status through an application with the Legislator Committee.
b. These applications can be made when applying for a position in a ministry, provided that the applicants opt in for a legislatorship application. Applications can also be made in the Welcoming and Registration Center  on the South Pacific Forums. 
c. It is the responsibility of the Legislator committee to ensure that the questions asked in the applications remain consistent when applying for legislatorship through the  the MoRA; the MofA or the SPSF. 
d.The Committee shall confirm the reception of an application within 48 hours. The Committee will determine the eligibility of the applicant, consulting any other institutions of the Coalition as needed to inform its decision, and shall strive to accept or deny each applicant within a week. 

I hope that this makes it clearer. 
Aga/Eunopiar