We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

A Citizen's IRC Channel
Thumbs Up 
I'd like to pose an idea of a Citizen's IRC channel. An IRC channel for TSPers. #the_south_pacific is run by a non-TSPer and the conversations get overrun by non-TSPers.

A community IRC channel would ...

- Provide open access for all citizens.
- Ensure the OP is a TSP citizen - with the distribution of OP status based on trust and respect within the region, not foreign interests.
- Reduce the opportunity for "shit-posting" and organized lobbying groups - where for example, you call upon friends and foreign elites to join the channel to stir the discussion towards your "side". Breaking down discussion negatively.
- Constitutionally protect citizens to speak their mind on a community IRC environment.

I'm not proposing that we cancel #the_south_pacific -- it's private property. But instead, create a public alternative.

IRC is a private space, outside the jurisdiction of the government. I will not support any law creating more closed-off spaces.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

So create it and see who comes. Your CoA.

Quote:IRC is a private space, outside the jurisdiction of the government. I will not support any law creating more closed-off spaces.

I'm suggesting that we create a public IRC space, inside the jurisdiction the government. Although not prohibiting private IRC spaces.

With the amount of shit-posting you do in the irc channel Uni, a citizens only channel would not avail you particularly much. I can't imagine the community operators would take your comments like this well:

[20:08] <@Unibot> Why don't you take your c**t brigade and go find a channel where s**t-posting might be more welcome?
[20:13] <@Unibot> correct and I don't care because I love to remind you how you and your friends are spineless f**ks

At the suggestion of QD ^, no need to offend public decency here.

Logs from the full event. http://pastebin.com/EXwpwJ4D

Vote of the ops resulted in a 48hr ban. People voting:
QuietDad, Xoriet, Severisen, Kris, Glen-Rhodes, Todd McCloud and myself.

5 Ayes, 1 Nay (Glen) and 1 Abstain (Todd) as it was felt to be a persistent pattern of behaviour and detrimental to the channel and atmosphere. Insulting other people with foul language should not be tolerated and when the "c" word comes out, something various people have remarked upon as a horrible word in multiple places, we took a decision to make a temporary ban.

This is why there is now a thread calling for a citizens run channel. Despite the fact that the channel SOP and all but one of the AOPs are citizens. I am the op who chaired the discussion on the matter and QD - our Minister of the Army - banned him.

Should also note that we agreed to warn Mahaj for spamming the channel, will follow up with QD and see if he gave the warning.

[Edit] Severisen has.

I haven't a clue on how to respond to this, but I'll just say I registered #tsp a while back, and for the most part, only Severisen and I have joined it.

That is all.

EDIT: "o" to "to"

I would like to question the appropriateness of posting this in the Private Halls of the Assembly. This is not a sensitive discussion, nor does it relate to foreign affairs or security matters.
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

There are no rules in regards to where what goes where. I would prefer the discussion on a Citizen's IRC channel take place in a forum viewable only to citizens. I view it as a sensitive matter, since non-citizens might use the transparency to intervene in a discussion which shouldn't involve them.

Quote:Despite the fact that the channel SOP and all but one of the AOPs are citizens. I am the op who chaired the discussion on the matter and QD - our Minister of the Army - banned him.

You're being disingenuous. One of the AOPs is not even a citizen and many of the other AOPs hold citizenship largely on a superficial basis so that they can defend their AOP status in times like these.

Not to mention that the channel's owner is a non-citizen - and you still haven't explained that. So I'll explain it for you: it was a partisan, foreign acquisition - a shoddy deal from the old Hileville days. Which ensures that the public IRC channel will continue to be overrun with foreign elites.

My "explosive behavior" was a reaction to the channel being overrun by a organized campaign (Hobbes even blatantly admitted it) to shit-post -- and no OP lifted a finger to intervene.

Why?

Because the campaign was organized by TEP citizens - who largely run TSP's IRC channel between Todd McCloud, Xoriet, Severisen and others. A ban on TEPers who entered the channel to troll would be a political sensitive motion, but a ban on ol' Unibot fits squarely on that foreign agenda.

The Channel SOP would then later query me and tell me that his "hands were tied" and he would have to vote for a ban - which just goes to show you how much politics is behind this supposedly public space governed by foreign elites.

I propose we take a page from TEP's handbook. TEP maintains its own private channel (albiet on skype) so that they can discuss their regional affairs and opinions in peace.

My bet is those same TEPers who passionately defended the creation of that private initiative in TEP, will probably also oppose the creation of a private channel for TSPers -- given it will make their political manhandling more difficult (i.e., they'll have to sign up for citizenship en masse and maintain citizenships), while they protect their own region's communal integrity and social sphere for themselves. Hypocrisy at its best.

I also oppose the fact that Todd McCloud was given the opportunity to abstain on the decision to ban me, but that I was not given the opportunity to weigh in on my own banishment - given I am an AOP in #the_south_pacific.

That's incredibly biased, when my outburst was in response to Todd McCloud and his political electioneering. Fundamentally, few members of the OP team even bothered to consider what I was saying or why I was saying what I was saying and whether this outburst might fit into a greater problem within #the_south_pacific that is not addressed out of political convenience.

I fail to see how creating a 'citizens only' chatroom would have prevented what happened earlier today.

There are non citizens in #the_south_pacific. So what?

Legal Resources: