We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Changing Recall Procedures

I think that we should change up the recall procedures a little bit, most notable requiring that at least a second is needed for a recall to go to vote. What does the Assembly think of this?

I agree wholeheartedly. It's a little ridiculous to not need a second; I actually had forgotten it didn't need one.
Delegate of Spiritus
Vice Secretary-General of the World Assembly

"When you are the potatoes guy everyone is like, 'Yeah, it's the potatoes guy!'" - Max Barry

Also, I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but recalled officials should be prevented temporarily (or permanently, if you'd like) from running for elections.

Just my 2 cents

If we change anything about recall motions, it should probably be to reduce the required margin from 75% to 60%.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

I think there should be a way to take a recall back. Or at least fight against it. Feel like the ability to call for a recall has been abused and this is ridiculous.
This is Penguin!!
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Penguins shall one day rule the pie!
And by "pie", I mean "World"!!
Goddess Empress Queen Princess Lady of TSP 
Lilium Inter Spinas // Non timebo mala
I have done a lot of things in the Region in my History.
There's a list somewhere if you wanna go looking. 

I think there should be the ability for the suggester to withdraw the motion and there should be a requirement for at least a second. That way we prevent the abuse and the inconveniences posed by our current system, which Arbiter08 and Penguin and others have suggested.

Something like this,

Quote:Article 2: Recall Procedures

1. The Assembly may recall any elected or appointed official.
2. Discussions on a recall motion will occur for at least three days.
3. Barring Article 2.2, recalls should follow the normal procedure for regular proposed legislation outlined in The Charter.
4. The official is recalled should 75% of votes cast in favor of such.

(10-01-2014, 12:34 PM)Awe Wrote: Also, I'm not sure if this is a good idea, but recalled officials should be prevented temporarily (or permanently, if you'd like) from running for elections.

Just my 2 cents
I think that if they did a bad enough job as to where they got recalled then they wouldn't win a following election. I don't think that it should be mandated in the Code of Laws.

(10-01-2014, 02:18 PM)Penguin Wrote: I think there should be a way to take a recall back. Or at least fight against it. Feel like the ability to call for a recall has been abused and this is ridiculous.

What if recalls required a second, and if either the original motion or the second were withdrawn then the recall procedure would be terminated?

(10-01-2014, 12:50 PM)Belschaft Wrote: If we change anything about recall motions, it should probably be to reduce the required margin from 75% to 60%.
Makes sense.

(10-01-2014, 12:50 PM)Belschaft Wrote: If we change anything about recall motions, it should probably be to reduce the required margin from 75% to 60%.

I think it's fine the way it is. A recall needs a real majority. If we were to have the discussion on changing this, I would argue to make it higher, like 85-90%. The truth is sometimes you just elect the wrong person and have to ride it out. It's way to easy to get the Assembly 50/50 on an issue making one person or 2 the swing vote.

Like QuietDad, I also disagree with moving the margin from 75% down to 60%.

Most decisions which involve individuals require a 75% margin.

Article 1.2.5 - Appealing a VD Denial of Citizenship
Article 1.2.6 - Appealing a Cabinet Denial of Citizenship
Article 3.1.8 - Removal of Citizenship protocol
Article 5.1.1 - Confirmation Vote for Appellate Justice
Article 7.1.6 - Confirmation Vote for CSS

75% is also used for Amendments to The Charter.

A reduction from 75% to 60% would be inconsistent. There is good reason for the 75% support level - there is a lot of passion involved with the discussion of individuals. Laws we can talk about as laws, but with people, voters aren't always as objective and that higher threshold has ensured that the recalls, when they do occur, are genuine and validly aimed - not personal whims of the day.

(10-01-2014, 02:51 PM)QuietDad Wrote:

I think it's fine the way it is. A recall needs a real majority. If we were to have the discussion on changing this, I would argue to make it higher, like 85-90%. The truth is sometimes you just elect the wrong person and have to ride it out. It's way to easy to get the Assembly 50/50 on an issue making one person or 2 the swing vote.

85-90% is abit high