We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[FAILED] Private voting

Worth pointing out that the Election Commission used to be multiple people, and we went to only 1 person doing it because a) multiple people weren't always available, and b) it was rather cumbersome.

(08-30-2020, 07:18 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: Worth pointing out that the Election Commission used to be multiple people, and we went to only 1 person doing it because a) multiple people weren't always available, and b) it was rather cumbersome.

Yeah — I said that earlier. I think we might be able to wrangle a second EC atm due to unique circumstances, but I don't think we'd want to go beyond that.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tsunamy's post:
  • Qaweritoyu

(08-30-2020, 06:57 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: Look — I think any more than two EC members is going to be a problem. But, if we have two members doing what the EC doesn't now — basically a check and verify — then I think that's about the best we're going to get. We could *possibly* get a third (or create someone to weigh in in case the commissioners deadlock),  but we wouldn't want more than that.

The way that we've been doing elections is probably the safest setup. If there's ever a question, we could always verify with the voters.

Good point.

I propose this draft for Private Elections
Amendment to the Elections Act Wrote:
Elections Act
An act establishing elections for office

2. Electoral System

(3) Voters shall will have the option to cast their vote using a secret ballot. The method of private voting will be selected by the Election Commission,. The method must utilizinge an unaffiliated account or server, with the method and all votes remaining available for audit. Named ballots are not to be released under any circumstances.a. All the Secret Ballots shall be made available in Public Domain after 15 days of declaration of Election Results.

And if anything is manipulated the voters can go to the HC and submit a petition of election fraud.

No. Absolutely not. We must have the opportunity to vote both ways: if I want to vote public, I'll cast a public ballot. If I want to vote in secret, I'll send a DM. But to force all ballots to be secret leaves a huge door open for electoral corruption, as we won't have a way to figure out the true results of the election. I trust the current EC, but, in the far-off future, this is giving free reign for a corrupt individual to rig the election at their pleasure.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This amendment is not necessary in the slightest.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ryccia's post:
  • Jebediah

(09-01-2020, 01:35 PM)Ryccia Wrote: No. Absolutely not. We must have the opportunity to vote both ways: if I want to vote public, I'll cast a public ballot. If I want to vote in secret, I'll send a DM. But to force all ballots to be secret leaves a huge door open for electoral corruption, as we won't have a way to figure out the true results of the election. I trust the current EC, but, in the far-off future, this is giving free reign for a corrupt individual to rig the election at their pleasure.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This amendment is not necessary in the slightest.

That has literally been repeatedly argued as false. If TSP had a PolitiFact of its own, they'd say Pants on Fire.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jay Coop's post:
  • Whole India

(09-01-2020, 12:34 PM)Whole India Wrote: I propose this draft for Private Elections
Elections Act

2. Electoral System

(3) Voters shall will have the option to cast their vote using a secret ballot. The method of private voting will be selected by the Election Commission,. The method must utilizinge an unaffiliated account or server, with the method and all votes remaining available for audit. Named ballots are not to be released under any circumstances.a. All the Secret Ballots shall be made available in Public Domain after 15 days of declaration of Election Results. 

And if anything is manipulated the voters can go to the HC and submit a petition of election fraud. 
I'm curious why you think that ballots should be released after 15 days. Why not right away?

(09-01-2020, 03:02 PM)Jay Coop Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 01:35 PM)Ryccia Wrote: No. Absolutely not. We must have the opportunity to vote both ways: if I want to vote public, I'll cast a public ballot. If I want to vote in secret, I'll send a DM. But to force all ballots to be secret leaves a huge door open for electoral corruption, as we won't have a way to figure out the true results of the election. I trust the current EC, but, in the far-off future, this is giving free reign for a corrupt individual to rig the election at their pleasure.

That has literally been repeatedly argued as false. If TSP had a PolitiFact of its own, they'd say Pants on Fire.

Even if so (and I do believe it, you are concentrating too much power in one office), what is the actual need for this amendment? There is none. If people want to vote privately, they can do so.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

[-] The following 2 users Like Ryccia's post:
  • Jebediah, Qaweritoyu

(09-01-2020, 05:48 PM)Purple Hyacinth Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 12:34 PM)Whole India Wrote: I propose this draft for Private Elections
Elections Act

2. Electoral System

I'm curious why you think that ballots should be released after 15 days. Why not right away? 

Few were saying that the voters may have a danger so doing it at 15 days would be better.

(09-01-2020, 08:49 PM)Whole India Wrote:
(09-01-2020, 05:48 PM)Purple Hyacinth Wrote:
Elections Act

2. Electoral System

Few were saying that the voters may have a danger so doing it at 15 days would be better. 

In the case of a rigged election, 15 days is too late.