We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Lampshade Galaxy Reboot

Hey everyone, I've been working on a plan for a reboot of our sci-fi RP.

I'm still working out some of the details, but here's some of the key points so far:
  • Instead of the full galaxy we'll be using a smaller section of it. As the RP progresses the map will be expanded as needed: for space, to make room for new nations, or potentially even for plot reasons. Because of this all empires will be a lot closer together from the start.
  • Each empire will still be allocated a number of points each week(?) for expansion (probably still 200), but to cut down on the slow start each empire will be given a large number of points to start (considering ~1000).
  • The interval per turn will be reduced to an undetermined amount. At 50 years, every 2 turns is more than a modern human lifespan so even with some life-extending tech we'd be going through characters and events really quickly.
  • The setting will still take place in 300 GE, 300 human years after the fall of humanity (within the Lampshade Galaxy at least). The causes and specific details of this fall will be left unknown to the galaxy, unless otherwise authorized. The usage of Humans and Human "successor states" will be allowed, within reason. Remnants of the human civilization could also potentially exist somewhere in the galaxy.
  • At this point most of our empires will have only recently begun to explore and colonize the galaxy. They may have made contact with other intelligent life near their homeworlds, and may be starting to make contact with the other spacefaring civilizations. But at the start they likely do not know much about galaxy beyond their immediate vicinity.
These are more proposed rules than anything but they're worth discussing:
  • All empires should start at the same relative technological level, the specifics of which will be determined before we begin. Special cases such as fallen older empires and intergalactic travellers will be considered on a case by case basis, but should not expect special treatment. A reasonable balance of power will be maintained.
  • The "hardness" of technology will also be agreed upon. I'd prefer to keep it reasonably hard but with some allowances such as FTL travel, shields and artificial gravity. Various "special" materials can be considered, but I'm opposed to adding space magic (the force, psionics, etc).
  • The various species don't need to be perfectly equal, but if you make a species that's objectively better than humans keep it reasonable. Don't just make a species that is naturally superior in every aspect. If we're talking about genetic engineering or other artificial species there's more leniency, but try to be reasonable.
  • A group of users including myself and Belschaft will be empowered to resolve any disputes about RP (technology, diplomacy, rules, etc). I've had enough experiences to know that some kind of moderation is necessary in RPing, and sci-fi is particularly prone to abuse.

[Image: wOCHoDI.jpg]
Map claiming can now begin. If you wish to be placed on the map please notify me. All new nations will receive a 1000 points to start, and when the RP officially begins all empires will gain additional points weekly. (Requests to not need to be exact, you can simply tell me an amount and area. If your requests cannot be understood or are deemed "ridiculous" they will be ignored.)

Each system costs 10 points to add, and may further be developed to 100 points. The larger a system is, the more it will expand your borders. As the size increases the icon will also change. If you're not sure about exact numbers just use multiples of 25 corresponding to the icon you want.

Systems legend: (1-25, 26-50, 51-75, 76-100)
[Image: MzCIrzQ.png]

I only have a general idea rather than exact coordinates for my claims. So, I would like a homeworld system southwest of Modia with the third degree of development, surrounded by systems with a rapidly decreasing development level, maximising area. There should be a few with a higher level (second level), slightly favouring the south, but otherwise distributed randomly. I would like a preferred direction of expansion mostly north-northeast, with some expansion in the other directions as well (similar to mine in the previous version of the map). The goal is to bump into Modia at some point. Some systems should increase in development over time. Also, always spend all available points! Tounge

Like before, the name is to be the Treecu Star Empire. The colour could be the same.

Would this be manageable, or should I try to specify specific coordinates?
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

http://i.imgur.com/1BkvARb.jpg

Please place a max development system where the red X is named "Elysium" and scatter the rest of my development around the general highlighted area in a manner that looks decent.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

If you could, please place 10 fully developed systems in and around the cluster of stars inside the parallelogram, with the capital placed at the green star shape, and the systems clustered as tightly as you think is reasonable.  The name of the civilization is Kojisen.
Unity, Order, and Freedom
-Motto of the Republic of Ubesii
The Ever Silent and Anxious Kiwi(Bird) of The South Pacific

The map is now updated to include all requests except Treecu. (Don't worry Qwert, they'll be added in tomorrow.)

[Image: wOCHoDI.jpg]
Treecu added. That should be all claims so far, let me notify if I missed anyone.

So I have a name for my primary system: Ma'own (Biblical Hebrew for refuge).
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8