We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[Discussion] Naming the continents on the regional map

Naming the continents on the regional map has been attempted a few times before. Let's finish this once and for all!

See this post for a definition of the continents.

Let's first post some suggestions, then nominate and have a vote.
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

[-] The following 1 user Likes Qwert's post:
  • Escevola

I’ve been referring to the southeastern continent as “Suderia” and is one of the possible suggestions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Folkmann's post:
  • Escevola

I have a couple ideas

Antarctic Continent- Frisia
mid-southwestern landmass- Terinia
western continent- Westferin

In the Frost Empire, the continent names are heavily influenced by the Rekina language (still in development)
rainbow islands: no change
mid-southwestern landmass- Etaroshia 
western continent- Esarosha
Central Islands: no change
Northeastern Landmass: Rokhivo
Southeastern landmass: Rekina

I think the following would be three plausible ways how the landmasses got their names.

1. We have this vague idea that there once was an influential Austral speaking empire. It could have named the different landmasses, which then would have evolved into the names that we will come up with now.

2. At some point there could have been a conference between Austral speaking nations to agree on common names.

3. A resolution in the World Forum (or equivalent) to adopt names for its internal use (that we conveniently also use).

Personally I like number 3.

In all cases, names could have been borrowed from other languages, be references to important people or geographical descriptions. Austral (English) is the lingua franca, and any name should be pronounceable in English (not saying that the suggestions so far aren't, but we shouldn't for example copy/paste the Sedunnic names Wink ).

Sedunn, of course, will retain its own names for its internal use.

Oh, and we should name the oceans and other important stuff too while we are at it!
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

(06-29-2019, 03:10 PM)Qwert Wrote: I think the following would be three plausible ways how the landmasses got their names.

1. We have this vague idea that there once was an influential Austral speaking empire. It could have named the different landmasses, which then would have evolved into the names that we will come up with now.

2. At some point there could have been a conference between Austral speaking nations to agree on common names.

3. A resolution in the World Forum (or equivalent) to adopt names for its internal use (that we conveniently also use).

Personally I like number 3.

In all cases, names could have been borrowed from other languages, be references to important people or geographical descriptions. Austral (English) is the lingua franca, and any name should be pronounceable in English (not saying that the suggestions so far aren't, but we shouldn't for example copy/paste the Sedunnic names Wink ).

Sedunn, of course, will retain its own names for its internal use.

Oh, and we should name the oceans and other important stuff too while we are at it!

I think we could very well adopt a Germany kind of solution (eg. Germany, Deutschland, Allemagne, Niemcy, etc.).
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

(06-29-2019, 03:23 PM)Qvait Wrote: I think we could very well adopt a Germany kind of solution (eg. Germany, Deutschland, Allemagne, Niemcy, etc.).

Well, all nations would still have their own names for their own internal use. When speaking Austral with each other, it would make sense to have common names.
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

[-] The following 1 user Likes Qwert's post:
  • Volaworand

Most languages would have their own names either based on a native etymology or borrowed from an other language. Even the international names may change to fit the language or regional area. For me, Suderia works, I dropped the umlaut as most likely it wouldn’t be in the Austral name and is more adaptable internationally.

tbh I like Suderia. That works...

Out of curiosity, what is the general population of the rainbow islands thing? we could keep it rainvow islands maybe, but if the history of the islands are like the polynesian history kind of deal (like what i loosley based my nation off of)
perhaps the name should reflect that kind of deal?

Some suggestions

Central Islands: Same name
Antarctic Continent: Keylia (uncertain IC origin, OOC origin is the name of the one who draw the map, Kyle)
Mid-Southwestern Landmass: Crabria, coming from some old possible proto-Karnetvorian/Resentinian (RL Slavic) language stem for the continent: khrabry/hrab, meaning brave. It is also got into the Sedunnic language by mistake as 'Ksavbyu'.
Western Continent: Cordilia (from Spanish 'Cordillera' referring to the massive mountain ranges in the centre of the continent, possibly specifically to the Cordillera Range on the border between Huawan and Qvait)
Rainbow Islands: Same name
Northeastern Continent: Bailtem (from the Sedunnic name 'Beilltemm', which I believe is used in other languages too?)
Southeastern Continent:Suderia (from Faudish, but it depends on whether they stay active or not)
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

[-] The following 2 users Like Qwert's post:
  • Escevola, Jay Coop