We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Motion for Recall of Chair Purple Hyacinth

Members of the Assembly,

The smooth functioning of the Assembly requires an attentive and active Chair to open and close votes, incorporate law changes into the law archive, and make important determinations. For the past approximately two months, the Chair has been difficult to reach in performing her duties, has delegated almost all tasks to Deputies (if the tasks were accomplished at all), and some duties have gone without completion altogether.

The Chair's most recent post on the TSP forum was on June 15, almost two months ago. Since then, the Chair has not posted on the TSP forum or performed any specific duties or responsibilities.

Some of these duties have been delegated successfully to Deputies. Specifically:
While in and of itself deferring responsibilities to Deputies is not problematic, it does become problematic when Deputies are not provided prior training (which Deputy Chairs Quebecshire and Tisha/Nyxonia both reported in #legislators-lounge) and when deference to Deputy Chairs is a replacement for demonstrated engagement with duties by the Chair.

Furthermore, several responsibilities that need to be accomplished have not yet been accomplished at all:
  • The Assembly passed the Amendment to the Elections Act regarding Delegate elections on 7/29, but the Chair has not yet ruled on whether it will require a gameside vote (per Article I(4) of the Charter) despite the vote closing 13 days ago.
  • The Assembly has passed the Regional Communications Act amendment on 6/15, a vote which was closed by the Chair, but which the Chair has not incorporated into the Law Archive.
  • The Assembly has passed the World Assembly Act amendment on 7/18, a vote which was closed by a Deputy Chair, but which the Chair has not incorporated into the Law Archive.
  • Since June 15, no requests for Leaves of Absences have been accepted (or rejected) by the Chair or a Deputy as is required by Article(3) of the Legislator Committee Act. The LoAs were marked as noted by a member of the Legislator Committee but not formally accepted (or rejected) by the Chair or a Deputy at any point. Deputies in #legislator-lounge reported they were unsure if this was in their remit, which ultimately falls on the Chair for failing to instruct and inform their Deputies about whether it was within their remit.

On July 26, the Chair provided an update in #legislators-lounge, saying they had caught up on relevant discussions and were attempting to return to activity. Since that date, there have been no substantive posts in #legislators-lounge or Chair-related administrative duties performed by the Chair, thus making the promise to return to activity at that time ring a little hollow.

Therefore, it is with a heavy heart that I motion for a recall of the Chair of the Assembly, pursuant to Article XI(1) of the Charter of the Coalition due to dereliction of duty by the Chair. It is unfortunate that things have gotten to this point, and I do hope that Purple Hyacinth returns to activity in TSP in the future and runs for office again, perhaps even as Chair, at a time where they can devote the time to their positions. Hya was, for a long time, an exceptional Chair and active participant in TSP, however their current performance of their duties as Chair are inadequate and necessitate this recall.

HumanSanity
Minister of Foreign Affairs
General of the South Pacific Special Forces
Ambassador to Balder
Former Prime Minister and Minister of Defense

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[Image: ykXEqbU.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes HumanSanity's post:
  • Apatosaurus

It is very upsetting but it is needed to fix this LoA and legislative gridlock. Full support.
"After he realizes this newfound power of his to override the hopes and dreams of republicans, he puts all of the united provinces under his control."
one time minister of culture

[Image: rank_trainee.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_1.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_2.min.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes im_a_waffle1's post:
  • Apatosaurus

Unfortunately, I think this is something that has to happen at this point. Hya was a wonderful Chair for quite some time but we do need to move forward on a couple of things and that simply isn't able to happen given the current situation. Support.
[-] The following 2 users Like Quebecshire's post:
  • Apatosaurus, Beausoleil

I don’t see why this is the private chambers, but other than I have no issues to raise. Hya was a fantastic Chair - one of the best TSP has ever had - but unfortunately she has not been able to perform her duties these last two months.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 5 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Apatosaurus, Qaweritoyu, Quebecshire, Volaworand, Witchcraft and Sorcery

(08-11-2021, 02:53 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I don’t see why this is the private chambers

I opted for the private chambers because the motion references content from #legislators-lounge which is not, by default, public. I will say it does not contain materials I would typically consider "sensitive", so I would not object if it were moved public.
Ambassador to Balder

[Image: rank_general.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_3.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg]

[-] The following 2 users Like HumanSanity's post:
  • Apatosaurus, Quebecshire

I wish that I would of had more of an opportunity to learn the duties of a deputy chair under the guidance of hya. Unfortunately our discussions and engagements have been too few and it lack the accesses/permissions to fill in in her absence.

When quebecshire was contemplating the run for MoC we privately discussed the challenges this might bring to the chair of the assembly position. We had hoped that Hya would be more involved.

But we have too many things backing up that need action. Without an active chair to set the wheels in motion it reduces the effectiveness of the legislature.

Until the moment that hya ceases to be the chair, or if I am removed from my appointment in shall continue to try and engage with her; even if it is to try and shake her out of her slumber to the immediate needs if the office.

But as a legislator I must add my opinion that the office is ineffective at this time.

Maybe in the future i can serve (and learn)
Tisha
Minister of Engagement

Legislator
Coral Guard
Ambassador to South Pacific region
OWL senior staff

Tishers ?☢ [Nyxonia]

LEDA #1             June, July, August, September 2021
COB #10            April, May 2021
Wingspan #10     August, September 2021

"I am an endorsin fool"
[-] The following 5 users Like Tishers [Nyxonia]'s post:
  • Apatosaurus, Beausoleil, Floptop, HumanSanity, Quebecshire

I fully support this. Our legislator has been crippled due to having an inactive chair and although it is regrettable, this is the right course of action.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Floptop's post:
  • Apatosaurus

(08-11-2021, 02:53 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I don’t see why this is the private chambers, but other than I have no issues to raise. Hya was a fantastic Chair - one of the best TSP has ever had - but unfortunately she has not been able to perform her duties these last two months.

Well, Swifty's recall was in the private chambers so might as well follow along with that and put this in the private chambers as well.
"After he realizes this newfound power of his to override the hopes and dreams of republicans, he puts all of the united provinces under his control."
one time minister of culture

[Image: rank_trainee.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_1.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_2.min.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes im_a_waffle1's post:
  • Apatosaurus

Given that the Charter required three days have passed and there appears to be no further debate, I motion this to a vote.
Ambassador to Balder

I second the motion. I'm sorry that this has to come to this.