We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DISCUSSION] The Empires of Influence

Dear roleplayers,

the times for change have come. Over on the TSP-RP Discord server you are currently able to vote on the implementation of a new climate map and here you will able to become creative and vote on something, that has been an unanswered question for way too long.
Regular roleplayers, who have been around for a while, are aware, that there have been four influential empires going about on our lovely world of Pacifica throughout history. Most nations in our region have some ties to them due to the era of colonialism, but we also know of their existence due to the language names they have left us with.
I'm talking about the Austral, Boreal and Spaninol Empire as well as a currently not further defined country, from which the five main religions of the world (Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam) come from.
Apart from the "country of religions", we know how each of those countries was called some 50-600 years ago, but what are their current names?

In this discussion thread, we want to answer this question. We need four modern names, one for each old empire and one for the "country of religions".
Each player may suggest one or two names for each country for the next week, then I will set up a vote on these names. Then the forum transition will probably take place and over there we could, if we want, continue discussions on those countries in terms of their flags (Did I hear "flag design competition? OwO) and their rough location on our world map.

Alright, let's start collecting some ideas! You have time until 5 July 2022, 24:00 h CEST!
Signed
Gianluca IV

Roleplayer (active in TSP since 2016)
TSPedia-Author
Head Bartender of the Lampshade Bar & Grill

Information about my roleplay
Pacifica GI-Land, Snolland (Hazelbrust), Guardian of the World Forum, IUFA-FWC/WFWC- and Pacivision Supervisor • 
Aurora Markatt (Maura)
[-] The following 3 users Like GI-Land's post:
  • Qwert, rosaferri, The Age of Utopia

Some questions for nations in regions where the 5 big religions are from; do you already have history regarding the presence of religious figures (e.g Buddha, Christ, and Muhammad) in your respective nations/regions? Otherwise, I think looking at existing religious density in Pacifica would help us reverse engineer those religions' canon roles. I think it would be weird to just have one nation where all 5 come from.
~~Rose~~
You may know me as Eggraria!
Roleplayer and Writer

Minister of Culture
Legislator

Office of WA Legislation Staff
Roleplayer - the State of Eggraria

Citizen of The South Pacific above all else.

(06-27-2022, 11:06 PM)rosaferri Wrote: Some questions for nations in regions where the 5 big religions are from; do you already have history regarding the presence of religious figures (e.g Buddha, Christ, and Muhammad) in your respective nations/regions? Otherwise, I think looking at existing religious density in Pacifica would help us reverse engineer those religions' canon roles. I think it would be weird to just have one nation where all 5 come from.

Okay, The only thing I would like to say is that multiple Empires spread Religion throughout Pacifica, not one massive empire.

(06-27-2022, 11:06 PM)rosaferri Wrote: Some questions for nations in regions where the 5 big religions are from; do you already have history regarding the presence of religious figures (e.g Buddha, Christ, and Muhammad) in your respective nations/regions? Otherwise, I think looking at existing religious density in Pacifica would help us reverse engineer those religions' canon roles.

Others can explain to you better, what their religious history is or not, however I'm not a fan at all of having the major religions originating from our region.
Why? First we have had a pretty heated discussion over on Discord in...2020, I think, where some players made clear, that religious fundamentals of IRL religions should not be touched. This e.g. means, that not only the holy books need to exist in their shape and form like IRL, but also that RL places would need to exist in our canon. This is theoretically rule-breaking, but would be alright in my opinion, if we place those locations inside a non-player nation somewhere in the "void", figuratively speaking.

Of course we could decide on IRP names for all those religions, holy books and holy locations as we did for the languages and then some nations can claim to be the origin of a certain religion, original writer of the book(s) and host of holy locations (or rather we as a community agree on that), but that discussion wouldn't be easy and it contains the risk of upsetting some of our more believing folk heavily. This is why I propose to go down the more simple route of having an outside country of religions, from where the major religions have spread.

(06-27-2022, 11:06 PM)rosaferri Wrote: I think it would be weird to just have one nation where all 5 come from.
(06-27-2022, 11:35 PM)jgtdm Wrote: Okay, The only thing I would like to say is that multiple Empires spread Religion throughout Pacifica, not one massive empire.

The thing is, that at least three of the five religions would need to come from pretty much the same place, as they build up on each other (the Abrahamistic religions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam). For simplicity's sake (and also seeing, that we don't want too many pre-determined non-player nations taking up valuable space on an expanded map in the future) I'd argue to go for one country, that's above-average religious and has spread its religions through sea-faring prophets/nomads/whatever to the other NPNs and our region throughout ancient and medieval history. That empire or country doesn't have to be massive btw. We can decide later for it being only as big as Israel or whatever IRL. The important thing is, that it should be our one and only IRP reservoir for IRL places, persons and books.

I hope, you see my points and am looking forward to what other people might think about that topic, especially those with more firm religious stances.

Something I should add for finding a name for the country/countries of religion: IRL country names like Saudi-Arabia or Israel will not be allowed, just fyi.
Signed
Gianluca IV

Roleplayer (active in TSP since 2016)
TSPedia-Author
Head Bartender of the Lampshade Bar & Grill

Information about my roleplay
Pacifica GI-Land, Snolland (Hazelbrust), Guardian of the World Forum, IUFA-FWC/WFWC- and Pacivision Supervisor • 
Aurora Markatt (Maura)

The Aegean empire (Aegean is our equivalent of Greek) would have been a short lived empire during ancient times (like Macedon) but it would have been a large empire that managed to spread influence to the rainbow islands. Ultimately this empire would fall apart and the Aegeans in the Rainbow Island lost order and began to migrate to places like Rhayna.

Today, it would be a much smaller country (presumably roughly the size of greece) and might be called something like Aegea. I like to think that Aegea’s history would be very similar to that of Greece, so it would of probably been conquered by the Austral Empire/Latin speaking empire or something else

If you have any suggestions or ideas, or issues etc. please do tell! ^^

Here is one I propose: The Kingdom Of Cimbria(IRP Denmark, and Only Denmark).

So like IRL Denmark, Cimbria attempts colonization in the South Pacific, but only succeeded in making trading posts in the Early Denvari Empire. The Cimbrian Language spreads throughout the empire like wildfire, but only gets as far as Emerald and Denver, not touching the the Regions of Colradia or Ludville. 

Sometime in the 1300's, I imagine they fall or get invaded by the Austral Empire back wherever they came from, thus leaving the Colonial Posts which soon develop into Cities such as Copenhagen and Ludvina(Originally Called New Copenhagen and føre by/Lead City).

The Reason why I want this? So that if other Danish speaking Nations pop up, we have the Kingdom Of Cimbria that either Colonized them or just made trading posts.

What is their modern day name? The Republic Of Kimbrisk, which broke free from the Austral Empire during their collapse.

What does everybody think of this?

Before I answer the question in the OP, I'd like to elaborate on my view on the empires.

Using and referencing them
I agree that they can be convenient for explaining why certain nations speak English or French for instance. The way we often reference them is very vague, and I think that that is for the best, noting how fragmented the occurrence of their languages are geographically and in time. The more we want to define them, the more questions and issues arise.

I tend to think of these "influence empires" as native to TSP (and not the new continents) because that means the following:
- It enables a longer period when these empires could have been active. It was hard to cross the oceans in great enough numbers until the mid 1400s, but they could still have made Macedonian or Mongol type of conquests before that, if the empires were located in the region. Many RPers have empire influence much earlier than the 15th century, which these "local empires" would enable.
- They could have co-evolved with other cultures. For instance, Sedunn and other nations in the X-Med, had advanced civilisations long before influence empires could have arrived from outside TSP. Co-evolving would explain why many non-influenced cultures still were similar to that of the empires. If all/most cultural and scientific progress should have been provided by the influence empires, it would be highly demotivating for players who want to explore non-RL cultures and don't want to have a colonial past.

Furthermore, I believe the empires should have been neighbours, noting how their languages and cultures are closely related IRL.

What happened to the empires
I like to think that the empires more or less vanished or disintegrated nearing the 20th century the latest. Some of them could have survived in reduced semi-powerful forms, such as Italy or Spain. And that leads us back to the OP.

The empires now
I don't have any preferences regarding names, but I don't think they have to be very similar to the names of the old empires. Like Italy and the Roman Empire. If we want to flesh them out, in my opinion, the empire remnants would be 1-2 plot nations neighbouring each other (or being located close to each other) somewhere where there's clusters with other RL languages and cultures, such as Germanic North Cordilia or Romanian Western Bailtem.
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator