We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

That Time I Was A Terrible Administrator, And Other Stories
Brick 
I have been working on this memoir since early March. It is a collage essay filled with thoughts, quotes, and stories of my time in the South Pacific. It is meant to be a frank examination of myself and my time in the region.

I encourage questions and criticisms. Maybe this will be my last debate in the region? 

That Time I Was A Terrible Administrator, And Other Stories
A Collage Memoir by HEM Tiberius

"For us to have effective government, we must all be effective citizens. We must all not take our positions as citizens for granted, we must work to make a difference." - HEM

In 2010 I arrived in The South Pacific, wide eyed and still more than a little wet behind the ears. I had been playing Nationstates for almost four years, and I guess back then I thought that that was a pretty long time. I was greeted and welcomed into this region by many people who no longer exist.

I began participating in the Assembly almost immediately. I had so many ideas for this region -- most of them terrible -- but loved to contribute and post. The region was probably the most inactive it had ever been (and hopefully will ever be), and for some reason Delegate Southern Bellz saw "something" in me. I was appointed to the vacant office of the Prime Minister, which in many ways was more powerful than the delegacy at the time.

I thought I was hot shit, issuing hostile press releases and trying to get the region active by telling people to be active. Unsurprisingly, I managed to attract quite a following of people who were upset with me. 

"I for one welcome this State of the Region Address and the spirit in which it was given...It is a well trodden path you have found yourself on my friend and no fault or blame should or will be apportioned...I am familiar too with your feelings of frustration, but patience is the key and a hearty measure of long-suffering too and just for good measure an endurance to the end... [...] ..Things will improve and given a little time changes will be made and more importantly accepted and embraced...Chin up chuck" - Kloister responding to my first State of the Region address

I remember how sore my fingers were from endoswapping. After only about three days -- with no automated script -- I managed to endorse and telegram every single nation in the region. Back during this time, The South Pacific elected our Delegate via the "Brave Little Toaster" system, which was essentially a big endorsement swapping slugfest. I was only three hours away from claiming the Delegacy.

Then Southern Bellz said "hi" to me on MSN Messenger. My face flushed and I wanted to slam my laptop shut. I had blatantly blindsided Bellz with this challenge, and then had worked quickly enough to make sure there was no possibility of preventing my victory. Without even giving my mentor a fair chance I stuck the knife in Bellz's back and twisted hard, sprinting toward the arbitrary political title that I had scarcely an idea of how to use.

During the conversation I tried to convince myself I was ready to be Delegate -- there would be no convincing Bellz, of course, who saw through me like a thin glass window. My shame grew. I had so lustfully wanted to be Delegate, I had forgotten that the point of service was to serve people other than yourself. I was a fraud, a cad, a politicking knave.

30 minutes before update I resigned from the World Assembly.

"HEM, to be completely blunt, I don't know you from a bar of soap." - Fudgetopia

Southern Bellz really was the best Delegate this region has ever had. You can disagree with me, of course, but you'd be wrong.

I was elected as Minister of Foreign Affairs after my Delegacy run came to a self imposed end. I started my term by doing a whole of nothing. I continued my term by doing even less.

Had Sedge not couped the region, I may have been remembered as one of the worst Minister of Foreign Affairs the South Pacific had ever seen.

Sedge was an outsider to the region. There wasn't the same domestic "divide" as in Milograd's coup. Both "gameside" and "forumside" condemned his occupation of our beloved region. His coup, as much as I hate to admit, was a shot in the arm to our region and my term in the Cabinet. I suddenly woke up and became a functional Minister, issuing statements and running an office. The region suddenly stirred and showed not just signs of life, but signs of true prosperity.

"I have gotten permission from him to tell you this, but it is still a secret. Unibot is creating a new defender organization, the United Defenders League, and would like an embassy with TSP." - Topid

When I look back at how Unibot and I so quickly became rivals, I am forced to the conclusion that it was largely my fault. Toward the very tail end of my time as Minister of Foreign Affairs, Unibot approached the region to see if we would be interested participating in the affairs of his new organization, The United Defenders League. I got a Private Message from Topid about it, but because I was exceedingly busy at the time, I didn't bother to do any followup on it . A few weeks later, I realized that Unibot had been waiting for my clearance to present his proposal to the Assembly. He accused me of using delaying tactics, and publicly lambasted me on the Assembly floor.

I apologize and explained of course. I tried to explain that I was not malicious, but rather grossly incompetent. I don't know if ever really believed that I wasn't trying to actively subvert his organization, though.

Sometimes I get really proud of how long I've been in the South Pacific. My profile gives me a nice comfortable date of arrival -- almost five years ago -- but it is not so kind to map out how often I was gone versus how often I was doing real work. People take breaks from regions in NS. It is natural. I'm just scolding myself for getting all righteous about being an "veteran".

There was a period of time when I was rarely out of Cabinet. It was from Fall 2012 - Fall 2013
There was a period of time when I couldn't do anything to get in the Cabinet. It is today.

The Milograd trial was one time I felt like a true servant to the region. I hated logging on everyday only to witness more abuse from Milograd and his team of cheap cronies. There were many times during that trial I wanted to use very legal (and some would argue, common sense) maneuvers to speed up the trial. But I knew that wasn't a real option. I know our region had one shot to show the world that Milograd's protestations of "oligarchy" were a false. A trial that didn't allow him every reasonable opportunity to defend himself would be deemed proof of his claims. 

Was Milograd wrong about oligarchy, or just a few years ahead on his claims?

After resigning from the courts, I was elected Vice Delegate alongside Delegate Southern Bellz. This term was the first time in recent history where the forum government had expended serious energy trying to reach out to Nationstates.net natives and those who contributed on the Regional Message Board. The term was abridged, because it was merely filling out Milograd's tenure, but the month and a half I served as Vice Delegate was one of the proudest moments for me in the South Pacific.

Toward the end of the term, Southern Bellz told me that he did not intend to run again and suggested that I consider a run. I decided to throw my hat into the ring, but ultimately lost in a very close election against Belschaft.

"I have faced the electorate twice for the office of Minister of Foreign Affairs, and have consecutively twice been defeated. It is clear that I do not have the confidence of my fellow citizens to run this department, and have no choice but to step away from this Ministry.

I ran my last election as a direct referendum on my work as Deputy Minister, and this region deemed my work unsatisfactory. I am a servant to the voters, and am receptive to their will.

I hereby resign as Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs for Ambassadors." - HEM

Becoming a perennial loser was something that sneaked up on me. Before my defeat in the Delegacy election, the people of the South Pacific had elected me each and every time my name was on a ballot. I suppose I took it for granted. 

After falling short for the Delegacy I took a short step back, but ran in the next elections to return as Minister of Foreign Affairs. I faced Hileville, and we ran relatively quiet and well mannered campaigns. I lost by a considerable margin, but immediately volunteered to serve as one of his Deputies. He put me in charge of the entire ambassador corps. I revamped the entire system, and while Glen-Rhodes will vehemently deny it, for a month and a half we had a well oiled and active team of ambassadors servicing our embassies all across the world.

But that wasn't the narrative Glen-Rhodes wanted, so when Hilevile resigned and we both contested the position, Glen lambasted the ambassador corps as an utter failure. He promised to slash the entire program, so that he could work on foreign affairs "behind the scenes". After putting countless hours into a rejuvenated program, I didn't only lose the election, but I also saw all my work pushed down the garbage disposal.

That's not to say Glen didn't do good things as Minister of Foreign Affairs. Someone who is consistently elected by the voters to do the same job is certainly doing something right. Maybe he made the right choice. Doesn't stop me from being bitter about it.

"Since we moved to these forums there has been a steady decline in admins actually working.  For the most part these tasks have completely fallen on my shoulders.  In my current RL schedule I cannot continue to handle every issue and task that arises.  The admin team needs to have the knowledge and desire to perform these duties.  I no longer feel several of our admins have any plans on doing just that.

It is with this post that I announce the removal of HEM from the admin team.  HEM's last administrative action was completed on the 24th of January with a grand total of 20 actions taken dating back to July. [...] Southern Bellz will also be removed from the admin team.  SB has in the past expressed no real desire to complete the basic tasks of an admin.  I have no desire to force people to do something they do not want so therefore feel it is best to remove them from the equation. [...] Rebeltopia and Tsunamy have also been removed as an admin." - Former Chief Administrator Hileville

The elephant in the room is that I was a downright terrible administrator. The post Hileville had made was in March, which essentially means I had done virtually nothing for three months except bitch about the stuff that Hileville did.

Most of us who were fired were terrible employees. However, Hileville, was an equally terrible boss. He failed to coach any of us, issue any specific instructions, and lacked any leadership recognizable by mankind. His default mode was direct executive action, and he liked a lot of it. Before the region fired him as chief administrator and changed forums, Hileville would unilaterally sack almost his entire administrative team and begin banning members without due process or the rights afforded to them by being apart of the region.

It was here where Unibot and I forged an unexpected partnership. After he was banned, I lobbied heavily for his return, and turned such protestations into true protests. The two of us, and many others, called the region to "take Hileville up on his offer" to ditch his forum and find a new host.

Hileville is a tragic hero, however. He is the King Lear of The South Pacific, forever crucified for doing what he truly perceived to be best for the region. Not for a single moment do I regret protesting his actions, or advocating the move to a new server, but perhaps I do regret the hate I created while doing so. Hileville did the best with what he had, and perhaps what he had was not what The South Pacific needed, but I absolutely regret not thanking him for his service.

My issue in this region has always been the judicial / administrative team divide. I've been talking about the issue for years, but we struggle to confront it head on. We worry about offending our current admins, and we have no faith in the judicial system. We prefer to entrust unelected deities who exercise their will with little check.

Not long after the forum move I was appointed to the Committee of State Security and as Appellate Justice.

Believe it or not, Escade and I did not always squabble the way we have recently. Escade was once the region's biggest advocate for cooperation and friendship between members. She had all the potential in the world to be an excellent delegate, but allowed herself to become jaded, bitter, paranoid, and unable to accept any opinions contrary to her own. I imagine she still dreams of a harmonious South Pacific, but I think in her mind such harmony is only possible after everyone she hates is gone.

Belschaft alleged that two CSS members were aware of operation Brave Little Toaster. He revealed Tsunamy as one. The second was me.

It was around this time last year when I started an IRC convo with Belschaft to bitch about the current condition of The South Pacific. I also felt burned and unwanted. Never before had I been totally rejected by my region. Even during my first days where Fudgetopia called me a "dictator" and decried my every move, I felt more loved in the region than I did then. Or I do now.

Belschaft told me that he was developing a "contingency plan" to rescue the region. He explained that I should invite members to the region in order to shift the balance of power away from hardcore defenders and their enablers (Yes, Kris / Escade, I'm talking about you). We didn't go into details, and he told me that he would keep in touch. He never did.

I didn't know about the forums created in The East Pacific, and until the plot was revealed to the world, I did not know of anybody actually taking action to do, well, anything. 

But I did know about it, and said nothing. Just like Tsunamy.

So here's the question: Will this region be hypocritical by prosecuting me and not Tsunamy, or will this region be hypocritical by not prosecuting me, and persecuting (not a spelling error) Belschaft?

A democracy cannot silence people without a fair trial. We really struggle with that in the South Pacific.

Despite there being recorded evidence of his involvement, Tsunamy never faced the fire for Operation Brave Little Toaster. The region's elite rallied around him, deflected the public anger on a socially ill-tempered Belschaft, and tried to claim that Tsunamy's quiet disclosure to one person five months later absolved him of all guilt.

Not long after, executive action was taken to remove Belschaft's citizenship, and that was that.

The difference is that Tsu is likable. Everyone likes Tsu. Belschaft was not likable. Belschaft was an asshole. But civil rights aren't there to protect the popular kids, they are there to protect the assholes.

The South Pacific didn't use executive action to ban Milograd, who couped the region. But somehow, six months after the fact, it became imperative to use executive action to strip citizenship someone who talked about recruiting sympathetic members to apply for citizenship?? Idk TSP, idk.

"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book" - Former US President Ronald Reagan

And here's my book. 

Europeia is where I learned to be confident in myself. The South Pacific is where I learned to humble myself. The South Pacific is where I grew up.

I intended this to be a thorough examination of myself and my time in The South Pacific. If it is not obvious, I did not write this memoir to make myself look good. I wrote it to be honest, because it is unlikely that I will ever be active here again.

I have been working on this project since March, and it is far from my personal expectations. There are other stories I want to tell, and I'd like to polish up the ones I have. But I just don't have the time, and if I don't finish it now, it will probably never get done.

The South Pacific. It has been good. I hope to still see you around sometimes.

Love,
HEM

Formerly Relevant, Currently Former.

Thanks HEM.

And you're welcome for all the fish.

~Professor Henn, Hardcore Leftist, Totally not a Dinosaur

I appreciate the false equivalency of my involvement, your involvement and Bel's involvement in OBT, the problem is that one of the three was involved in the planning. The other two weren't.

Otherwise, nice reflections. Here's hoping your election-losing streak ends soon Wink
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

(05-26-2015, 10:50 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: I appreciate the false equivalency of my involvement, your involvement and Bel's involvement in OBT, the problem is that one of the three was involved in the planning. The other two weren't.

Otherwise, nice reflections. Here's hoping your election-losing streak ends soon Wink

Somehow I'm sensing that the word "appreciate" was sarcasm.  Blush

What I truly appreciate, however, is you taking the time to read my piece. 

@ Same to ProfessorHenn, of course.

(05-26-2015, 10:50 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: Otherwise, nice reflections. Here's hoping your election-losing streak ends soon Wink

[Image: CSq44JClThf20.gif]

(05-26-2015, 10:54 PM)HEM Wrote:
(05-26-2015, 10:50 PM)Tsunamy Wrote: I appreciate the false equivalency of my involvement, your involvement and Bel's involvement in OBT, the problem is that one of the three was involved in the planning. The other two weren't.

Somehow I'm sensing that the word "appreciate" was sarcasm.  Blush

What I truly appreciate, however, is you taking the time to read my piece. 

@ Same to ProfessorHenn, of course.

Actually, it wasn't. I do appreciate the defense of a friend and fellow player. I disagree with the logic, but appreciate the loyalty.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

Very interesting read.

Let me clarify that at no point has Belschaft been banned from this forum. Our Cabinet removed his citizenship. Forum Administration removed his mask, as appropriate, but took no further action. Belschaft is percently within his rights as a forum user to come here and post in whatever area is available to him, just like anyone else.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(05-26-2015, 11:12 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote:
Let me clarify that at no point has Belschaft been banned from this forum. Our Cabinet removed his citizenship. Forum Administration removed his mask, as appropriate, but took no further action. Belschaft is percently within his rights as a forum user to come here and post in whatever area is available to him, just like anyone else.

Except not everyone else has their citizenship taken away without a trial.

I erroneously referred to this action as a "ban", but the point still holds.

But thanks for the clarification regardless.

Is it just me or is there quite a bit of negativity in there?