We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Poll: Should Scotland become Inderpendent
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
19.05%
8 19.05%
No
23.81%
10 23.81%
Don't Know
9.52%
4 9.52%
Live in the UK
4.76%
2 4.76%
Live in Scotland
7.14%
3 7.14%
Live outside of the UK
35.71%
15 35.71%
Total 42 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Scottish Independence

Scotland has voted to stay in the Union with 2,001,926 voting No and with 1,617,989 voting Yes.

Thank you all for a great debate on here.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

Secession is rarely a good idea.
The Third Imperium
Journalist, South Pacific Independent News Network (SPINN)

Provost, Magisterium
Sergeant, East Pacific Sovereign Army
Journalist, East Pacific News Service

Foreign Affairs Minister, The West Pacific

Political reasons aside, you have to look at the practicality. The situation is pretty similar to Quebec over here in Canada, from my perspective.

Now for something like Scotland there's generally two approaches:

Sovereignty-association: Basically it keeps the UK currency, economic ties, political ties, etc but it's a separate country. Sounds great for Scotland, but no sane UK politician would agree to it.

Full Sovereignty: Exactly how it sounds. Complete separation, loss of government services, corporations moving oit to stay in UK, dropping currency for a new unstable one, loss of all UK industry, importation of UK goods, acquisition of their share of UK debt, etc. And I wish this was a hyperbole or just one side of the argument.

So short answer is it'd be an economic disaster for Scotland if they chose independence.

No one should have to be "Inderpendant"

This has been "Nitpicking With a Smat@$$" a subsidiary of "Totally Missing The Point Inc"
"Liberty is the Gate and the Key to Prosperity"
My threads:
Philosophers Corner
The Ice-creamist Movement for Peaceful Unification of Desserts

As opposed to 'inherpendant?'
The Third Imperium

Provost, Magisterium

All pointless nitpicking aside, it is the natural way of things that small things unite and big things divide. Te question is not "will Scotland become Independent?" it is "when it happens will people be prepared?"
My threads:
Philosophers Corner

I've studied federation, and that's not necessary true. Actually, it's kinda counter-intuitive.
The Third Imperium

Provost, Magisterium

Well I'm speaking more from a historical perspective, empires collapse, and their pieces form new empires. Its civilizational!
My threads:
Philosophers Corner

Do you think that ? Well I don't I'm no of fan of the SNP but anyone can see (if you look a lot into it and only people who live in Scotland because it will affected them most of all) that Scotland would be better off with independence. I always vote for Scottish Green Party for MEP and MSP votes, but for MP votes I vote for the main one, but anyway the Scottish Green Party supports Independence so that one reason I am voting for Independence.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

I am a firm supporter of the Union - I believe that Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland all benefit from being part of one state and that we should stick together.