We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

PROPOSAL: WA Ministry

[Image: unknown.png]

Military doesn't count as a "Ministry", it's literally the army. Excluding that, we have 2 Ministries and 1 WA advisor (who is no longer the WA advisor but just CRS)

My plan is to create a new WA Ministry for The South Pacific. Have the WA Minister (can be the Delegate or a person of his choosing) to decide WA votes, work on increasing the delegate's endorsements (and inevitably the CRS's), WA population, and keeping the nations of TSP informed about the ongoing General Assembly and Security Council votes. Teach newbies how to write WA resolutions, and promote TSP resolutions to WIN. 

It doesn't have to be a large department (40+ people though that'd be exciting,) it could be a department of 5-10 actives. 

What do you all think?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yuno's post:
  • The Sakhalinsk Empire

The main problem here is that we lack personnel. Aside from Glen and Tim, I can't find anyone else who is either active or skillful at the matter.
Chief Supervising Armchair
[-] The following 2 users Like USoVietnam's post:
  • Tim, Yuno

(07-07-2018, 12:09 PM)USoVietnam Wrote: The main problem here is that we lack personnel. Aside from Glen and Tim, I can't find anyone else who is either active or skillful at the matter.

You will get more when the ministry is formed. For example, all ministries start with 1 person (the minister) 

They don't have to be WA experts either. They could be people who have opinions on the WA resolution at hand. And that's, literally 100% of the Voter population, in the region of 6k nations.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yuno's post:
  • Escade

I think it's a good idea and possibly will lead to newer people rising up who may even report about the WA as we don't really, as a region, here anything about what is going on whether in TG\or news report format.

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

[-] The following 1 user Likes Escade's post:
  • Yuno

I like this idea. Railana had been a WA adviser for a while and then Glen.

It would be good to get the force of a Ministry behind it.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 2 users Like Tsunamy's post:
  • Escade, Yuno

(07-09-2018, 11:57 AM)Tsunamy Wrote: I like this idea. Railana had been a WA adviser for a while and then Glen.

I'd spoken to both Glen and Railana about this at the start of my term. Railana particularly believed you need to build an engaged community before you could create an effective ministry. I hope that SWAN helps us with this, but sadly my own time and enthusiasm for WA proposals is limited, so I couldn't be that guy.

I'm passionate for TSPers to have access to the best options to help them enjoy their time here, so I really hope we get something like this off the ground eventually.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using Tapatalk
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8
[-] The following 1 user Likes Seraph's post:
  • Yuno

(07-09-2018, 12:19 PM)Seraph Wrote:
(07-09-2018, 11:57 AM)Tsunamy Wrote: I like this idea. Railana had been a WA adviser for a while and then Glen.

I'd spoken to both Glen and Railana about this at the start of my term. Railana particularly believed you need to build an engaged community before you could create an effective ministry. I hope that SWAN helps us with this, but sadly my own time and enthusiasm for WA proposals is limited, so I couldn't be that guy.

I'm passionate for TSPers to have access to the best options to help them enjoy their time here, so I really hope we get something like this off the ground eventually.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using Tapatalk 

With all respect to Railana, you need someone to help *build* that community, which was essentially the point of creating a WA adviser. This things don't just pop up, so to speak.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 4 users Like Tsunamy's post:
  • Escade, Rebeltopia, Tim, Yuno

I’ve always been resistant to this idea, as I feel that the WA rightly comes understand the purview of the Delegate - who after all controls the block vote.

In this specific case though I have another concern; iif a WA advisor hasn’t been able (or willing) to generate more interest in this area, why would a Minister have any more luck? I’ve always argued against creating extra ministries without good reason, and I don’t see one here; if the WA advisor had created a new and growing section of our community that would be different, but I don’t see how making it into a ministry does this - a change of advisor would make more sense to me.

If and when we have interest in the WA in TSP we should consider this step, but not currently. You don’t create a ministry to generate a community, you create a ministry when it has a community to manage.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Rebeltopia, Yuno

(07-09-2018, 03:16 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I’ve always been resistant to this idea, as I feel that the WA rightly comes understand the purview of the Delegate - who after all controls the block vote.

In this specific case though I have another concern; iif a WA advisor hasn’t been able (or willing) to generate more interest in this area, why would a Minister have any more luck? I’ve always argued against creating extra ministries without good reason, and I don’t see one here; if the WA advisor had created a new and growing section of our community that would be different, but I don’t see how making it into a ministry does this - a change of advisor would make more sense to me.

If and when we have interest in the WA in TSP we should consider this step, but not currently. You don’t create a ministry to generate a community, you create a ministry when it has a community to manage.

I assumed it would come with a change in leadership/adviser. (Honestly — and he can correct me if I'm wrong — but I thought Glen holding that title was simply a hold over from before and not really an active role.) I think creating a "ministry" here might spur people to take it more seriously, even if it is only a name change.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 2 users Like Tsunamy's post:
  • Escade, Yuno

Turning it into a ministry isn't simply a name change though.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belschaft's post:
  • Yuno