We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[OOC] Roleplay Convention

Hi everyone!

Due to recent disruptions, it seems our roleplay section is less active than it normally would be. It is because of that that I want to know how much interest there would be in a small convention to discuss certain aspects of our community, and how to restore much needed activity to it. I was thinking we should discuss at least the following:
  • Our satisfaction or lack thereof with the organisation of Treasure Island and any possible changes to it
  • The limits to our MT level
  • The possibility of having non-canon roleplays of the same tech level, or of different levels or even universes
  • Ways we could promote interest and participation in our community
We all know how active this small community of ours can be, and I want to see us live up to that potential!

Thoughts on this?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Well, it's less active because of exams for me...
"毎日の小さな努力の積み重ねが歴史を作っていくんだよ。"

Put a little effort everyday and it will stack up and create a foundation for you.

- Doraemon

[Image: 5bDBXB8.png] [Image: Gny2SfF.png] [Image: tUG5vUH.png]

Treasure Island Awards Best Roleplay 2020
Treasure Island Awards Best Roleplayer 2020
Cocos Winner for Best Character Writer 2017
Cocos Winner for Best International Event 2017
Cocos Winner for Best Overall RP 2017

Things to know: Medical Intern and Biomedical Scientist from Indonesia, Muslim, 188 metres tall, loves trains

The reason for the inactivity we've seen for a while I believe is not a consequence of the organisation of TI, but is mainly due to RL priorities for many of us and the absence of controversy and "rouge elements" in our RP. Of course, the recent forum jumps and coup disrupted ongoing activities.

1. I'm satisfied with how TI is organised. An idea: How about a subforum for facts about our nations and other aspects? We have a few threads dedicated to describing our nations, which one might want to access for reference more often than finished RP threads. What I mean is separating threads with facts from those with actual "playing". This could be the third subforum under Bantam Harbour, called maybe The Plank or something like that Happywide

2. I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but if a RP is labelled MT I think it should adhere to RL technology and level of development. Things like plants, animals and so on should also be as close as possible to RL. Reference to the real world should however be avoided.

3. I see no conflict here. If it is non-canon it should however be clearly stated.

4. To promote interest and participation an open and welcoming atmosphere is crucial. We are all a little confused in the beginning, not sure how things work. Mistakes are made. Rather than criticising, we should offer our help and explain how things normally work. I also think a manual of some kind would be a great aid to newcomers. It could, among else, explain the structure of TI, and how our MT RP works and its limitations. It should be accompanied by a question thread, where players are welcome to ask questions about any aspect of TSP RP.
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

(02-06-2016, 01:06 PM)Qwert Wrote: How about a subforum for facts about our nations and other aspects? We have a few threads dedicated to describing our nations, which one might want to access for reference more often than finished RP threads. What I mean is separating threads with facts from those with actual "playing". This could be the third subforum under Bantam Harbour, called maybe The Plank or something like that Happywide

Oh my god yes. This would be awesome!

(02-06-2016, 01:06 PM)Qwert Wrote: 2. I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but if a RP is labelled MT I think it should adhere to RL technology and level of development. Things like plants, animals and so on should also be as close as possible to RL. Reference to the real world should however be avoided.

I gotta disagree here. Modern tech is modern tech. I reserve the right to play around with my nation's flora and fuana as much as I like within the boundaries of logic. This is not our world; why should it have the same evolution?

<33

1. That is what I mean. If people have ideas for additional subforums or for somehow changing things about the existing ones. I'm not really asking for anything radical, just slight changes that might be good to have.

2. I know for a fact that some people have some interesting ideas for roleplays that would be cool as canon, but would not be MT in the strictest sense of the word. I am interested in knowing how much we are willing to push our understanding of MT and what kind of technologies or developments would be too much to be part of our main canon.

3. I didn't mean there would be a conflict. What I meant was if it should be passively allow it (as it currently is) or if we might want to actively explore such roleplays, instead of primarily sticking to our MT canon.

4. I think that is a good idea. Things like introductory and questions threads would help a lot. This isn't directly related, but I remember we had a list of events. Maybe completing that list would help newcomers have a quick idea of how the world is at any given time?

5. Can we agree that Market Street is ready to be archived?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(02-06-2016, 01:15 PM)rhinotaz Wrote:
(02-06-2016, 01:06 PM)Qwert Wrote: 2. I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but if a RP is labelled MT I think it should adhere to RL technology and level of development.

Things like plants, animals and so on should also be as close as possible to RL. Reference to the real world should however be avoided.

I gotta disagree here. Modern tech is modern tech. I reserve the right to play around with my nation's flora and fuana as much as I like within the boundaries of logic. This is not our world; why should it have the same evolution?

I see what you mean, and I mostly agree. Some variations should be allowed. But I do want do avoid dinosaurs, sable tooth tigers, or some plant miraculously curing cancer, or a twin-headed flying snake. Too many deviations from real world-evolution would logically mean that most things we currently use in RP never came into existence.

(02-06-2016, 01:20 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote:
2. I know for a fact that some people have some interesting ideas for roleplays that would be cool as canon, but would not be MT in the strictest sense of the word. I am interested in knowing how much we are willing to push our understanding of MT and what kind of technologies or developments would be too much to be part of our main canon.

3. I didn't mean there would be a conflict. What I meant was if it should be passively allow it (as it currently is) or if we might want to actively explore such roleplays, instead of primarily sticking to our MT canon.

4. I think that is a good idea. Things like introductory and questions threads would help a lot. This isn't directly related, but I remember we had a list of events. Maybe completing that list would help newcomers have a quick idea of how the world is at any given time?

5. Can we agree that Market Street is ready to be archived?

2. Do you have any examples? Something like a super computer virus knocking out society or something like that? For me, MT is everything that exists now, or will exist very soon.

3. I'm not sure anything needs to be changed. Maybe we could be more clear about that not only canon (MT) roleplays are allowed. Also, see point 5.

4. That list Qvait made a couple of months ago?

5. Yes. Also, if I do remember correctly we had a subforum for non-canon RPs, like Star Wars and pirates. To promote non-canon RP, of any sort, we could create that one again. EDIT: It was called Port Royal.
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

(02-06-2016, 02:15 PM)Qwert Wrote: I see what you mean, and I mostly agree. Some variations should be allowed. But I do want do avoid dinosaurs, sable tooth tigers, or some plant miraculously curing cancer, or a twin-headed flying snake. Too many deviations from real world-evolution would logically mean that most things we currently use in RP never came into existence.

Why? Sabre tooth tigers are perfectly plausible and would not at all influence the rest of important RP stuff. Nor would two-headed snakes. I understand the reasoning behind dinossaurs as that would get rid of archeology, but saying anything else is off limits is just foolish.

<33

(02-06-2016, 02:15 PM)Qwert Wrote: 2. Do you have any examples? Something like a super computer virus knocking out society or something like that? For me, MT is everything that exists now, or will exist very soon.

Examples: Metahumans, mutants, superheroes, things like that. Are we ready/willing to push those boundaries?
An eye for an eye just makes the whole world go blind.
~Mahatma Gandhi

(02-06-2016, 02:15 PM)Qwert Wrote:
(02-06-2016, 01:15 PM)rhinotaz Wrote:
(02-06-2016, 01:06 PM)Qwert Wrote: 2. I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but if a RP is labelled MT I think it should adhere to RL technology and level of development.

Things like plants, animals and so on should also be as close as possible to RL. Reference to the real world should however be avoided.

I see what you mean, and I mostly agree. Some variations should be allowed. But I do want do avoid dinosaurs, sable tooth tigers, or some plant miraculously curing cancer, or a twin-headed flying snake. Too many deviations from real world-evolution would logically mean that most things we currently use in RP never came into existence.

I'm not someone who is involved in your rp community, but there are people on NS who have gone so far as to "design" an animal that lives in their nation that isn't entirely beyond the realms of what is acceptable in MT.

I think it depends on how well it's explained and who is explaining it. The above link includes a mass of information about the species in question, and is approached in a semi-logical, balanced fashion, complete with weaknesses and problems faced by the species. If you had an RPer who was just going "man can have sphynx it flies n stuff" then obviously that's not acceptable, but a balance can certainly be struck.

Have any of you considered integration with the main site RP sections? Currently TSP RP is mainly TSP vs. TSP, but there's a whole big RP world out there with tons of options.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]