We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DISCUSSION] Expanding the Cabinet

We had talked about this briefly on Discord 1-2 days ago, so I'm putting it here to have a full discussion on it.

What do we think about expanding the Cabinet Ministers that we have? Our laws are all written in a way that makes this relatively easy and painless by design. Some ideas that were floated include:
  • Culture (split from RA)
  • Media (split from RA)
  • WA (basically, what Slab has been doing)
  • Home Affairs (similar to TNP's, where a Cabinet Minister now has mandate and responsibility for game-side stuff)
  • ...etc...

I don't envision this thread as being one where we debate and draft the specifics, but rather just as a general discussion of what expansion we want, and if so, in which direction we'd want to go.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • Amerion

(12-14-2019, 02:11 PM)Roavin Wrote: We had talked about this briefly on Discord 1-2 days ago, so I'm putting it here to have a full discussion on it.

What do we think about expanding the Cabinet Ministers that we have? Our laws are all written in a way that makes this relatively easy and painless by design. Some ideas that were floated include:
  • Culture (split from RA)
  • Media (split from RA)
  • WA (basically, what Slab has been doing)
  • Home Affairs (similar to TNP's, where a Cabinet Minister now has mandate and responsibility for game-side stuff)
  • ...etc...

I don't envision this thread as being one where we debate and draft the specifics, but rather just as a general discussion of what expansion we want, and if so, in which direction we'd want to go. 

Absolutely not. The split in RA would be suicide, and would cause more inactivity. There is already enough trouble by trying to make people move to and be active in one institution, but, two institutions is suicide. Perhaps we could look at delegating WA responsibilities to the delegate. Again, what would the role of these people be? I can't understand why we need a WA minister, when we have a delegate who should be dealing with the WA, hence the name WA delegate.

Home affairs could work, but what would happen with the Local Council?
Aga/Eunopiar

Mostly does boring things.

Regarding RA, I don't think it'd be less activity, but the contrary - with two people having the mandate to get things done, but each with a narrower and less overwhelming scope, more things should get done.

Regarding WA, It's "WA Delegate" for mechanical reasons and that office is mostly separate from direct dealings with the GA or the SC except that they are the ones casting the regional vote.

Regarding Home Affair, I can imagine several things that could happen to the LC. Probably the better approach here is to discuss what we want Home Affairs to do, ignoring the LC for now, and then consider how the LC would play into that.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 2 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Seraph, Somyrion

(12-14-2019, 02:23 PM)Roavin Wrote: Regarding RA, I don't think it'd be less activity, but the contrary - with two people having the mandate to get things done, but each with a narrower and less overwhelming scope, more things should get done.

Possibly legislators should elect a broader range of people to do the regional affairs job? 
Roavin Wrote:Regarding WA, It's "WA Delegate" for mechanical reasons and that office is mostly separate from direct dealings with the GA or the SC except that they are the ones casting the regional vote.
They are the ones casting the vote, that is my point. Possibly all WA delegates should be legally required to appoint a WA advisor?

What is the problem we are trying to solve here? I don't fully understand.
Aga/Eunopiar

I essentially support the idea of expanding the cabinet in light of changes in what people want to participate in. I think dividing RA into an integration-focused ministry and a culture-focused one and then adding a WA ministry would be ideal.

I realize that we're not at the stage of dealing in specifics yet, so take this as a single instance representing a broader type of change, not as a specific template that needs to be replicated exactly.
  • Cabinet
    • Prime Minister
    • Ministry of Foreign Affairs
    • Ministry of Military Affairs
    • Ministry of Cultural Affairs — (this is most of what is currently the MoRA, minus integration)
      • Graphic design
      • Event planning
      • Media
      • Promotion of activity on forums and discord
      • Forum/"serious" roleplay
      • TSPU and ASP
    • Ministry of Regional Affairs — (I'm using the RA name because I think "regional" is the best descriptor of what this ministry would be doing. But it could also be the "Home Affairs" that Roavin describes, or something like "Local Affairs" or "Gameside Affairs")
      • Local Council
        • Expand the LC to five members. We certainly have the number of active RMBers to make that possible. If the LC is already going to be placed under the umbrella of a ministry-level leader, then there's even less harm to adding more members because we don't have to worry about maintaining leadership and decision-making efficiency in the Council. Also consider making the LC more of a RMB/moderation-only body — as it de facto really already is — and then explicitly placing broader gameside policy under the Minister of Regional Affairs.
      • Moderators for Knowhere and Psomewhere
        • While this is also roleplay (and therefore it could go under CA), looking at the way people have handled it in the past, it's clear that Knowhere and Psomewhere are spoken of in the same breath as other RMB functions and not as other roleplay like Treasure Island. How to handle the 'wheres was an outstanding issue during my last term as a LCer, and I don't think it's ever been resolved. LCers don't want to have to moderate three regions at once, but the 'wheres also shouldn't be allowed to go unmoderated and disconnected from the rest of the region. Once we have a ministry to cover gameside issues, the management of the 'wheres suddenly falls very clearly into the portfolio of that ministry and the problem of what to do with them is largely solved.
      • Integration
        • As a feeder, we have a uniquely large responsibility to carry out integration duties. This includes gameside—gameside integration (e.g. getting new players to join the WA and read our regional guides), gameside—forum integration, and gameside—discord integration. Of course this would necessarily be connected to all the other ministries (as MoRA Integration already is).
      • Dispatch Organization project
    • Ministry of WA Affairs
      • GA and SC proposal threads on the forum
      • GA and SC opinion/recommendation dispatches — SWAN-DIVE (SWAN Discussions and Information for Voter Education)
      • Assisting with TSPers who want to write WA proposals
      • Advisory for the Delegate on SC votes (so I don't have to always ask the security room and then get no response, please! Tounge )
[Image: AfI6yZX.png]
Aumeltopia ~

[Image: fKnK6O4.png]
Auphelia Wrote:Raccoons are bandits! First they steal your food . . .
and then your heart/identity!
[-] The following 2 users Like Somyrion's post:
  • Amerion, Jay Coop

I would love for there to be a Ministry of World Assembly Affairs.
Concrete Slab
Coral Guard Member
5x Local Councillor 
TSP Legislator and Citizen
Ambassador to the League 
Author of GAR #471, #479, and SCR #271
Co-author of SCR #300
Founded 1/25/18
[-] The following 1 user Likes Concrete Slab's post:
  • Beepee

I think integration should be separate - the projects will grow so large, that the MoCA would not be able to cope. I also think that RP could have its own Ministry.
Aga/Eunopiar

(12-14-2019, 05:22 PM)Ski Slopes of Agalaesia Wrote: I think integration should be separate - the projects will grow so large, that the MoCA would not be able to cope. I also think that RP could have its own Ministry.

Any ministry involvement with RP needs to have a soft touch - the RP community is, afterall, mostly self-regulating, so I would suggest a MoRPA or whatever wouldn't be a great idea. It fits with culture though and would always be at least a little bit optional as far as that portfolio is concerned, depending on the Minister.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8
[-] The following 4 users Like Seraph's post:
  • Amerion, Beepee, Imperial Frost Federation, Somyrion

I think having a separate ministry for media is a wonderful idea *looks at TNP's work*

Edit:

I think it wouldn't be the worst idea to remove the sections on ministries from the Charter, place it in a separate constitutional act and note that every say two election cycles, we will revisit what ministries we require. Our needs are ever-changing and as this discussion has made clear, so too should our departments.
[-] The following 2 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Beepee, Seraph

A Minister of Home Affairs or something like that mainly focused on game-side things would be great, especially for those unable to participate in the forums or Discord. It would also make integration less daunting and would likely lead to more activity.
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest
[-] The following 2 users Like The Sakhalinsk Empire's post:
  • Seraph, Somyrion