We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Discussion - RP for TSP IC History

A while ago I was thinking about a historical RP to write the IC history for the region (or at least one time line to be used in other RPs). How this would be done exactly is subject to discussion (who would moderate it and what major events should it revolve around?).
Examples of events could be Roman exploration/colonisation in TSP, a tsunami forcing people to leave their native lands, rise of powerful civilisations or aliens landing, internal exploration etc. Is TSP even located on the Earth...?
We could choose a century to start with, have some major events play out and see how our nations react (or the lands that will be part of our nations), write it down separately for future use and then move on to the next century.

Edit: We could also include old RPs (both finished and unfinished).

What do you think about all this? Is it too much and too complicated to be achievable? Would people be interested in such a thing?
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

Well, I personally like this idea. Let me give a quick rundown of what I like and don't like.

(09-08-2014, 10:51 AM)Qwert Wrote:
Quote:A while ago I was thinking about a historical RP to write the IC history for the region (or at least one time line to be used in other RPs).

Good plan. I will support this.

Quote:How this would be done exactly is subject to discussion (who would moderate it and what major events should it revolve around?).

This would vary. Technically, it shouldn't be moderated at all, to help provide some more ideas. Bad ideas would be rooted out, naturally, but most ideas would stay.

Quote:Examples of events could be Roman exploration/colonisation in TSP, a tsunami forcing people to leave their native lands, rise of powerful civilisations or aliens landing, internal exploration etc.

Good ideas. I would like to speak with you on this over IRC sometime soon.

Quote:Is TSP even located on the Earth...?

With the creation of "GCR Planet" and "Pacifica", I would say it's not located on Earth.

Quote:We could choose a century to start with, have some major events play out and see how our nations react (or the lands that will be part of our nations), write it down separately for future use and then move on to the next century.

If we start with a century, it has to be long ago, but not too long ago. I'd say early Roman is good. B&N can help with much of this actually.

Quote:What do you think about all this?

Can't speak for the others, but I like this idea.

Quote:Is it too much and too complicated to be achievable?

It is perfectly achievable as long as it is active.

Quote:Would people be interested in such a thing?

Hard to say. I know I'd be interested in helping to write history.

FINALLY back. Happywide

I tried something similar in my tenure as Cultural Governor for Lazarus. Unfortunately, we never could get any activity or participation in it. I put this down to the organization and administrative structure; if I can talk to you over IRC about this so that I can give you some advice, Henn, that would be good.

Secrets are lies, lies are sins, and sinners go to Hell.
The Third Imperium
Journalist, South Pacific Independent News Network (SPINN)

Provost, Magisterium
Sergeant, East Pacific Sovereign Army
Journalist, East Pacific News Service

Foreign Affairs Minister, The West Pacific

(09-09-2014, 08:19 PM)ProfessorHenn Wrote: Good ideas. I would like to speak with you on this over IRC sometime soon.

That can be arranged.

(09-10-2014, 11:02 PM)God-Emperor Wrote: Secrets are lies, lies are sins, and sinners go to Hell.

What do you mean?
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

(09-14-2014, 06:43 PM)Llamas Wrote: Hello! Welcome to the Lazarene – Oh, shit, I'm in TSP now. Welcome to The South Pacific Historical Project!

TSPHP is an attempt to synchronize the IC histories of most of our active RPing members, and to write up a past for TSP. We will create various threads for various individual projects and such. Much badassity, many wars, and extremely cool empires may be expected.

Our Map
Linguistics! (Coming Soon)
Prehistory (Coming Very Soon)
Bronze Age (Coming sometime later)
Antiquity (Coming sometime later)
Early Medieval(Coming sometime later)
Late and High Medieval (Coming sometime later)
Early Modern (Coming sometime later)
Early Industrial (Coming sometime later)

I'm glad to see that you liked the idea of the project, but I initially thought that a discussion on the matter would have taken place before proceeding. I like this setup (with distinct "ages"), and that linguistics section is a cool idea. I think we need a sub forum for this, like the Bureau of Cartography.

Let's say we choose Prehistory to start with. How do we proceed from there? Do we have a major event to get it all started, or do we individually submit histories about what's going on in each country that we then try to synchronise?

I also wonder who are involved in the planning so far.
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

(09-15-2014, 07:54 AM)Qwert Wrote: I'm glad to see that you liked the idea of the project, but I initially thought that a discussion on the matter would have taken place before proceeding.
The biggest problem with that is my fear that if we don't get some immediate progress, we'll just talk and talk and talk around in circles.

(09-15-2014, 07:54 AM)Qwert Wrote: I like this setup (with distinct "ages"), and that linguistics section is a cool idea.
Great, thanks for that; I'm trying to break it up into clear, noticeable chunks. The LHP failed largely in part due to a lack of realistic goals and individual units or pieces, making the thing as a whole appear too daunting to be tackled. As my History teacher likes to say, however, the way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time. Not that we'd ever want to eat elephants, of course. That's immoral, the species is goshdarned endangered.

(09-15-2014, 07:54 AM)Qwert Wrote: I think we need a sub forum for this, like the Bureau of Cartography.
Already on the way.

(09-15-2014, 07:54 AM)Qwert Wrote: Let's say we choose Prehistory to start with. How do we proceed from there? Do we have a major event to get it all started, or do we individually submit histories about what's going on in each country that we then try to synchronise?
A little bit of both. We'll write out and script some events that are highly important and which could be a matter of dispute, i.e. the first development of agriculture, the arrival of humans, etc. However, TSPHP's goal is not to dictate a rigid storyline which cannot be broken, it is to allow individuals to develop their nations more effectively and write with the help of others, so we'll give each member of TSP the freedom to RP as they wish.

(09-15-2014, 07:54 AM)Qwert Wrote: I also wonder who are involved in the planning so far.
Not very many people, as the project has just begun; currently, only Henn (As MoRA) and I, as RP Deputy minister, are on this. If I find that I need more people on the team, though, I'll probably open up the project to new administrators and co-OPs so that they can do this.

You aren't really Deputy Minister, since that would involve green masking and access to the Cabinet Office. You do have access to the MoRA Private Office and are part of the staff. I thought I should point that out.

The idea is great, so count on my full support, both as citizen and as Delegate.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(09-15-2014, 11:25 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: You aren't really Deputy Minister, since that would involve green masking and access to the Cabinet Office. You do have access to the MoRA Private Office and are part of the staff. I thought I should point that out.

The idea is great, so count on my full support, both as citizen and as Delegate.
Not deputy minister, sorry, RP adviser. You're right, I made a mistake. My apologies.

It wasn't a big mistake, don't worry. Tounge
Though we have considered making you deputy minister, so I guess you're half right!
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System