We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[OOC - Discussion] CPSC's Organisation and Structure

[Image: CPSC-Thread.png]

The Cross Pacific Space Cooperation (CPSC) is the intergovernmental organisation that promotes the exploration of space through cooperation. Members of the organisation are democratic nations who wish to band together to further the exploration of the cosmos. While this goal is admirable and indeed worthy, practical questions arise on how to achieve this goal. What is the CPSC really? Is it just a passive fund where individual space programs get money from or is it meant as a fusion of the many space programs? I guess it's a bit similar to the difference in confederal and federal systems. Resulting from some discussions on the discord server, I think the best option RP-wise would be to go for a lax federal system. What exactly do I mean by this? Well let me explain...

Organisation
The CPSC is joint program like ESA with many departments spread over its many members. It receives funding from its member nations to fund its own missions to explore space. While a great deal of money goes to them, this doesn't mean they get all the money for space programs. Individual nations also have their own space agency which can cooperate and act individually if they so wish. For example, while a mission to the moon might prove too expensive for just one nation the CPSC offers a great opportunity to work together an accomplish that goal. However, when just a new satellite system is needed for your nation, they can do so individually. Or perhaps two nations wish to show their friendship to all the world, they do so by having two of their orbiters rendezvous in space. Information is shared between these agencies to further the cause of science and security. While the CPSC is an overarching organization, it does NOT require that every mission by individual space agencies by in name of the CPSC. However this seems as if it runs on the willingness of the individual space agencies to work together, which might not be the case every year. So perhaps a certain minimum quota of missions is necessary to keep the CPSC rolling. An easy option is that the CPSC helps to maintain Pacifica's ISS equivalent and or the transportation of astronauts to and from it. But anyways, I think this approach is the friendliest RP-wise.

Structure
Directors, Officers and all the other committees are what keeps order in this vast program. While we'd need many directors, I think it's wise we think about what kind of directors we need for the program. Aside from that Committees and Advisory Boards could also be helpful. How do we envision these? I can certainly see a military advisory board when more covert operations are potentially at risk with the program's operations. I think for this role Sedunnic and Ryccian officials fit best since they were the founding members and claim those spots for themselves, though I could be wrong.

If you have any commentary on what I stated above, feel free to comment down below so we can figure this cookie out. Afterwards we can start by making a historic mission list the program has done and what it could do in the future.

Sidenote:
If you're a member, it would be greatly appreciated if you help us assess your nation's contributions to this joint program. You can do so by editing you nation's contributions here on the wiki page of the CPSC. Based on that we can see what our programs mission have been and currently are, so stay tuned!
Pacifica: MyriaSallodesia, Stoinia • A1-0: Stoinian Star Kingdom • Aurora: Kingdom of Threnebor
[-] The following 2 users Like Maverick's post:
  • GI-Land, Qwert

Organisation
I agree.

An ISS-equivalent where non-members can contribute too would be good.

Structure
I'm not sure we need to establish all the directors, officers and committees, but it would be interesting to list all major facilities and their locations, like spaceports, research and test centres etc. What we know so far is that a main spaceport is located in Juno, Ryccia and that the headquarters is located in Grovne, Sedunn. It would make sense if additional major facilities, like for rocket/propulsion technology and astronomy would be located in these nations too, because the organisation inherited much from the Sedunno-Ryccian Great War rocket and atomic research.

This of course won't mean other nations won't have any of the important stuff. I think it would make sense if centres for newer abilities, such as maybe radio telescopes, additional spaceports, astronaut training facilities and climate observation were built in newer member nations.

Budget
For reference, the 2020 NASA budget is $22.559 billion, which is about 0.1% of the GDP. Russia seems to spend $2.77 billion (0.16% of the GDP) on Roscosmos and China seems to spend $11 billion (0.07% of the GDP). The ESA budget is $7.72 billion.

I think we should aim for at least a NASA-sized budget. I had put 0.5% of GDP ($5.45 billion) in the wiki table as the Sedunnic contribution, but it may be a too high, at least post-space race. I think I will lower it significantly.
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

Thoughts anyone?
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

At least a NASA-sized budget would be great, but considering this is a member-funded organization it'd be better if the members were to decide. However, a realistic budget for the CPSC would be in my estimates between $15.5 billion and $21.2 billion, depending on the member states' actual interest and enthusiasm in participating in the project.

However, considering that we have an ISS equivalent, and that NASA is spending more or less $2 billion annually to maintain the ISS, I'd say the budget for the CPSC would be in the higher end of my estimate, so between $17 billion and $21.2 billion I'd say.

If ya'll need anymore help organizing I'd be enthusiastic too, definitely not a space nerd here hehe
[-] The following 1 user Likes Skynautics's post:
  • Qwert

Politically one would be concerned about significant facilities in Ryccia.
Gianni: “Izaakia, I hate you so much. You’re such a good bad guy. Must be because of your genes“.
Gianni, 21:42 14 Dec 2020, # Pacifica Discussion

Yes. There's supposed to be at least one major additional spaceport somewhere near the equator.
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

We have one at IAF Montacia Bay which could be used.
Gianni: “Izaakia, I hate you so much. You’re such a good bad guy. Must be because of your genes“.
Gianni, 21:42 14 Dec 2020, # Pacifica Discussion

Izaakia joined in 2020, too late to host the secondary space port which ought to have been operational since Ryccia's worst periods of instability. Montacia Bay is also not near the equator.
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

I reiterate the proposal, that there could be an additional space port in Hazelbrust
Signed
Gianluca IV

Roleplayer (active in TSP since 2016)
TSPedia-Author
Head Bartender of the Lampshade Bar & Grill

Information about my roleplay
Pacifica GI-Land, Snolland (Hazelbrust), Guardian of the World Forum, IUFA-FWC/WFWC- and Pacivision Supervisor • 
Aurora Markatt (Maura)

(10-03-2021, 12:11 PM)GI-Land Wrote: I reiterate the proposal, that there could be an additional space port in Hazelbrust

There could be, but it's also far from the equator. Snolland or GI-Land would be optimal.
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator