We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Significance of Flags

Here's an interesting topic of discussion.

I recently had an exchange of telegrams with some random nation from outside the region, about the significance of flags. I argued that flags are in the end just pieces of cloth, that can't possibly represent the incredible complexity of nations: their shared history, customs, culture, experiences and everything else that has made them what they are now.

That conversation didn't end up well, with that nation calling me a "liberal ass" and a "jerkoff who uses his power online to be a control freak cause his life sucks on the outside". That got him a report to the mods. But I did end up curious about what you guys think, since obviously the people here are so much nicer. Smile

Can flags really symbolise a nation?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

IMO, a flag can't really symbolize a nation as nations change over time. A nations flag starts out as a symbol of things such as freedom or dominance, but in these modern times very few still hold meaning. It all boils down to how patriotic you are.

Symbols are given power by people. Alone, a symbol is meaningless. -V for Vendetta

I disagree.

No symbol ever captures the entirety of the thing it symbolises. The map is not the territory. That does not lessen its worth as a symbol. Both USA and [Image: us-flag.jpg] are symbols for the United States of America. If the only legitimate symbol were a detailed recounting of the full history and geography of the country it would be practically impossible to refer to it. That's what symbols are for.

When I come across either symbol, it triggers in my mind the idea I have of the United States. That will differ in detail from what others have in mind, but in essence we are thinking of the same place, it is our reactions to it which differ.
Strolling punster from Canada
Eat o' teh eye pie is teh one!
First member and Procrastinator in Chief of the ice creamists movement

OH. Em. Gee. Semiotics -- here it comes Smile

So, it depends on how complex you want to get. No "sign" -- linguistic or otherwise -- has a one-for-one comparison, there's always room for interpretation. As such, while a "flag" might represent a specific country, as TAC pointed out, that country changes over time.

Ultimately, any sign is created by a variety of people from a variety of actions. However, since we all have our own unique experiences, we understand signs differently and assign different meanings to them based on what they know about the sign. So, while the U.S. flag signifies the U.S. what that "conservative" nation sees the U.S. as and what an Iraqi citizen sees the U.S. as are two vastly different things.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

I would say having a national flag is about the same thing as having a national name. The name "can't possibly represent the incredible complexity of nations" either. But the name may for example tell us something important about the nation's history and/or a mayor geographical feature and the flag may reflect upon that, or may represent critical national values and traditions. I believe that a flag can symbolise a nation.

A similar question could be asked. Does the word 'beer' truly reflect on the complexity of the beverage? Tounge
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

In my opinion, flags can represent a nation; they don't have to capture every aspect of the country in order to do this.

How good a job they do is debatable, of course. :smiling:

It really depends on the nation, if they want to make their flag symbolize their country so be it. I feel like it's a nice idea instead of just throwing a pattern on fabric. Really I don't see why more countries do it. Plus the more thought you put into tall the little things, the more sophisticated you seem, and who doesn't want others to think they're smart?

(11-30-2014, 10:51 AM)Tsunamy Wrote: OH. Em. Gee. Semiotics -- here it comes Smile

So, it depends on how complex you want to get. No "sign" -- linguistic or otherwise -- has a one-for-one comparison, there's always room for interpretation. As such, while a "flag" might represent a specific country, as TAC pointed out, that country changes over time.

Ultimately, any sign is created by a variety of people from a variety of actions. However, since we all have our own unique experiences, we understand signs differently and assign different meanings to them based on what they know about the sign. So, while the U.S. flag signifies the U.S. what that "conservative" nation sees the U.S. as and what an Iraqi citizen sees the U.S. as are two vastly different things.

This is true of any symbol. For example, a hammer-and-sickle, to a devoted communist, is a source of national pride. But to an American, it's more likely to bring up feelings of anger and fear.
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

I'm an American and I find the Hammer & Sickle hilarious Tounge

How is it hilarious? I'm an American, but it's a hammer and a sickle. How is that hilarious?
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."