We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

The Bzern-Islands Amendment to Improve Office Holder Fairness

Quote:
7. Separation of Powers

(1) Offices of the Coalition are the Delegate, the Prime Minister and Cabinet Ministers, the Chair of the Assembly, Local Councillors, the Permanent JusticeChief Justice of the High Court, and any of their appointed deputies.

(2)  It is not permitted for any individual to hold more than one office within the Coalition's governmentOffice of the Coalition.

(3) It is not permitted to run for an office while also running for another, or during an election for which one is currently a candidate.

(4) Persons holding Offices of the Coalition shall relinquish their seat to their deputy during the process of seeking a further office, and only regain the seat after having withdrawn from candidacy in that election.

(5) Election or appointment to a new office constitutes explicit resignation of an existing office.

(6) No person holding a Cabinet office or the office of the Delegate may hold any equivalent office in a foreign region or organization.

I propose the following amendment to Article 7 of the elections act in the interest of increasing office holder fairness and to discourage the act of "office hopping". I proudly worked on this amendment with my fellow legislator Bzern.

I cannot support this. For a start, it would prevent anyone holding an office from running for a different office that happens in the same election cycle, since the term doesn't end until after the elections are over, but, aside from that, I think players should have the freedom to office hop if they want to. If people don't like that, don't vote them into the new role.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8
[-] The following 1 user Likes Seraph's post:
  • Beepee

I have to echo Seraph on this one. I just don't see any merit to banning "position hopping". It is such a minority of cases in the first place, and I don't think it's a problem.

If people do have issues with someone running for another office, then don't vote for them. We don't need an option that unfairly restricts candidates, when a simple solution is already there.

Given that an Office of the Coalition includes the Delegate, the Prime Minister and Cabinet Ministers, the Chair of the Assembly, Local Councillors, the Permanent Justice, and any of their appointed deputies, it is disconcerting that this amendment would so radically reduce the pool of acceptable candidates.

Edit: Permanent Justice should be changed to Chief Justice in the Elections Act

(07-05-2018, 02:20 PM)Amerion Wrote: Given that an Office of the Coalition includes the Delegate, the Prime Minister and Cabinet Ministers, the Chair of the Assembly, Local Councillors, the Permanent Justice, and any of their appointed deputies, it is disconcerting that this amendment would so radically reduce the pool of acceptable candidates.

Edit: Permanent Justice should be changed to Chief Justice in the Elections Act

Also you are disqualified if you hold literally any kind of office at all in another region under this.

A case could be made for a comparable GCR - albeit an unconvincing one. This amendment is unfortunately far too restrictive.

This seems rather unnecessary.
[Image: Lj1SunN.png]
Formerly Banned For Still Unspecified "OOC Toxicity"

Quote:7. Separation of Powers

(3) It is not permitted to run for an office while also running for another, or during an election for which one is currently a candidate.

(3)(4) It is permitted to seek election or appointment to new office while holding an existing office.

(4)(5) Election or appointment to a new office constitutes explicit resignation of an existing office.

(5) (6) No person holding a Cabinet office or the office of the Delegate may hold any equivalent office in a foreign region or organisation.
Loophole closed.
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium
[-] The following 3 users Like Rebeltopia's post:
  • Escade, sandaoguo, Seraph

(07-05-2018, 02:19 PM)Farengeto Wrote: I have to echo Seraph on this one. I just don't see any merit to banning "position hopping". It is such a minority of cases in the first place, and I don't think it's a problem.

If people do have issues with someone running for another office, then don't vote for them. We don't need an option that unfairly restricts candidates, when a simple solution is already there.

I would say the same things. Personally I don't really think that "position hopping" is a problem; if one person wants to have experience in another cabinet (for example), they could take a shot at it. If people don't want that person in that office then they could just not vote for him/her.
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Sakhalinsk Empire's post:
  • Beepee

Quote:7. Separation of Powers

(1) Offices of the Coalition are the Delegate, the Prime Minister and Cabinet Ministers, the Chair of the Assembly, Local Councillors, the Permanent Justices of the High Court, and any of their appointed deputies.

(2) It is not permitted for any individual to No person shall hold more than one office within the Coalition's government Office of the Coalition.

(3) It is permitted to seek election or appointment to new office while holding an existing office. Persons holding Offices of the Coalition shall tender their resignation before they shall be able to seek election or appointment to a new office, except in goal of further election to the same office. 

(4) Election or appointment to a new office constitutes explicit resignation of an existing office.

(5) No person holding an Office of the Coalition Cabinet office or the office of the Delegate may hold any equivalent office in a foreign region or organisation.

I've proposed amendments to the Bzern-Islands Amendment to Improve Office Holder Fairness.

Changes:

(1) Section 1 is changed so that it would cover all Justices of the High Court and not only the Chief Justice.

(2) The wording is changed so that it would be more uniform throughout Article 7.

(3) Incumbents of Offices of the Coalition will only be able to seek election or appointment to a new office after they tender a formal resignation, except if they're seeking re-election/election to the same office. This would ensure the proper functioning and efficient execution of their office after one has decided to run for election, so when they resign, their deputy would succeed them and execute the powers and duties of their office until a new person has been elected.

(4) Repealed because it has been added to Section 3.

(5) The rule would apply to all Offices of the Coalition and not just the Delegate and the Cabinet and Officers of the Coalition will not be allowed to hold any office in any foreign region or organization.
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy