We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DISCUSSION] Universal Design Code

In addition to the necessary discussion on forum reorganisation, I would like us to also discuss the possibility of a universal design code. At the moment, every single one of our government institutions has a separate logo with little if any semblance to those of its counterparts (and it's driving me coco). To resolve this lack of coherent design, I propose we host a regional design contest wherein:
  • participants from TSP and abroad will be invited to submit either a portfolio of design concepts or a single concept (which can later be expanded across the board);
  • the Assembly votes on these concepts with a resolution (or another informal mechanism);
  • the two finalists or a number of finalists depending on the number of entrants then advance to gameside where they are voted using a regional poll; and
  • the entrant with the most votes is ultimately selected as the template. After which, we can adopt the concepts and/or our own designers can use it as a template to standardise existing logos.
As a reward for the winning entrant, I further propose that we provide a forum-side cosmetic benefit of some sort, such as masking them in a special colour for a set period of time, say three months. Alternatively or in addition, we can offer a significant amount of forum currency, to be deposited into the entrant's account if and when we establish such a system.

[-] The following 3 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Poppy, Roavin, Somyrion

I was looking through the different logos and was thinking , this isn't that bad they're pretty similar, then I got to the high court one, which looks nothing like the rest :p

This sounds like a good idea though ^-^

One quick question, not that I object to running this by the gameside community in the latter part of voting, but does that make much sense? I mean, it's not like it's affecting gameside, it's just for the forums, assuming I interpreted your post right. Or is there some other reason or maybe law why we're doing that, or are we just doing it cause why not? :p
Nation: 073 039 109 032 080 111 112 112 121
I'm more active gameside than here but either place I'd love to talk ^-^
[-] The following 3 users Like Poppy's post:
  • Amerion, Roavin, The Sakhalinsk Empire

Very much in agreement on this, and in fact you kinda preempted me Tounge I wanted to start a thread on a regionwide design guide. I know we have several really talented artists around and if they pitch together I'm sure we'll end up with something wonderful.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 3 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Amerion, Poppy, The Sakhalinsk Empire

(02-22-2019, 12:20 AM)Poppy Wrote: I was looking through the different logos and was thinking , this isn't that bad they're pretty similar, then I got to the high court one, which looks nothing like the rest :p

I honestly prefer the High Court logo to the others. They look too colourful and upbeat for my taste.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 2 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • Amerion, Poppy

(02-22-2019, 12:20 AM)Poppy Wrote: ... One quick question, not that I object to running this by the gameside community in the latter part of voting, but does that make much sense? I mean, it's not like it's affecting gameside, it's just for the forums, assuming I interpreted your post right. Or is there some other reason or maybe law why we're doing that, or are we just doing it cause why not? :p

I suggested it because why not Tounge

I do not mind restricting the regional vote to the forum though.

(02-22-2019, 08:03 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: I honestly prefer the High Court logo to the others. They look too colourful and upbeat for my taste.

I think you mentioned it before but who designed the High Court logo?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Poppy

(02-22-2019, 08:03 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: I honestly prefer the High Court logo to the others. They look too colourful and upbeat for my taste.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk 

I wasn't saying it was bad, just not really like the others :p If we were to follow my taste, though, everything would be either pink, rainbow, or black >~> Maybe I shouldn't give any suggestions >~<
(02-22-2019, 09:00 AM)Amerion Wrote:
(02-22-2019, 12:20 AM)Poppy Wrote: ... One quick question, not that I object to running this by the gameside community in the latter part of voting, but does that make much sense? I mean, it's not like it's affecting gameside, it's just for the forums, assuming I interpreted your post right. Or is there some other reason or maybe law why we're doing that, or are we just doing it cause why not? :p

I suggested it because why not Tounge

I do not mind restricting the regional vote to the forum though.   

It doesn't have to be necessarily, I was just thinking that might make more sense since it seems more of a forum issue than anything that concerns people gameside. It doesn't really have to be restricted to just a forum vote, it would work fine the other way too if that's what you think would work better, I just thought it might make more sense the other way ^-^
Nation: 073 039 109 032 080 111 112 112 121
I'm more active gameside than here but either place I'd love to talk ^-^

We should create a logo for the Prime Minister, delegate and the government of the South Pacific too.
[Image: VCUpXJI.png1]

BZERNELEG 

South Pacifican. Public Servant. Creator. In that order.

Official Thread • Lampshade Broadcasting Company • The Tsunamy Institution of the Law and Public Policy

[-] The following 1 user Likes Bzerneleg's post:
  • Poppy

(02-22-2019, 09:08 PM)Poppy Wrote: ... I wasn't saying it was bad, just not really like the others :p If we were to follow my taste, though, everything would be either pink, rainbow, or black >~> Maybe I shouldn't give any suggestions >~<

*Forces Poppy to fill out a twelve-page suggestion form* Tounge

(02-22-2019, 09:08 PM)Poppy Wrote: ... It doesn't have to be necessarily, I was just thinking that might make more sense since it seems more of a forum issue than anything that concerns people gameside. It doesn't really have to be restricted to just a forum vote, it would work fine the other way too if that's what you think would work better, I just thought it might make more sense the other way ^-^

Honestly, I am indifferent to it. Although, I am rather curious to know what others think of a gameside round of voting.

(02-23-2019, 05:43 AM)Bzerneleg Wrote: We should create a logo for the Prime Minister, delegate and the government of the South Pacific too.

We will create a logo for every foreseeable position. It will be magnificently consistent Devil
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Poppy

Counter-argument: Chaos isn't necessarily bad, having inconsistencies reflects the history and inconsistent cultures of the region, and means that people are free to update logos without feeling stuck to the pattern. :>
[-] The following 5 users Like Nakari's post:
  • Kris Kringle, Poppy, Rebeltopia, Seraph, The Sakhalinsk Empire

(02-23-2019, 09:52 AM)Nakari Wrote: Counter-argument: Chaos isn't necessarily bad, having inconsistencies reflects the history and inconsistent cultures of the region, and means that people are free to update logos without feeling stuck to the pattern. :>

I agree to a certain degree. It is why I have held off on mounting a region-wide highly coordinated PR campaign; 'It's The South Pacific, not the South Pacific!!!'.

However, I do believe there must be consistency in logos. It need not be an uncreative reiteration of the same idea across every institution/position, but, at the very least, there should be some base template from which such logos are created using — much like a formatting guideline in government dispatches. I am thinking more broadly along the lines of a common design language rather than minute specifications.
[-] The following 2 users Like Amerion's post:
  • Poppy, Roavin