We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[Discussion] Future map claiming and updating

The February map update was huge and we currently only have about 40 free plots left. There's actually a real chance that the map gets full in two or three updates. (Great to see that so many want to join our community though!)

I have had the honour and pleasure of having managed the regional map for almost four years. However, I plan to greatly reduce my updating responsibilities after the May update, or sooner. This doesn't mean I'm leaving TSP RP, but I want to focus on other things both RP-wise and AFK.

So, I would like to invite everyone interested to discuss the following.

1. How do we ensure that there are free plots so that new players can join? (Options include, but are probably not limited to changing claiming rules and opening up the new continents outside the TSP region.)

2. Replacing me as the person doing the map updates. (An obvious option is finding someone else willing to take over, but it would also be possible to make it a community effort, for example having multiple players updating the map using Google Slides.)
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

[-] The following 3 users Like Qwert's post:
  • GI-Land, Illaois, Langburn

GI mentioned this in Discord, and supposedly this was a rule before I even joined, but I would like to reiterate it and provide my take as well. I believe that it would be beneficial to further limit the amount of plots claimed by newer members. Considering that a small portion of members look to claim the maximum amount of plots (3), and subsequently become inactive, I believe this would free up space gradually as those players' claims decay. More established players should be granted the opportunity to claim additional plots through either contribution or time.

As mentioned above, I believe that this would likely free up and increase the number of plots available in a few months and help newer members find their ideal place on the map easier. Though I am satisfied with my own location, Shang Ye as a nation was not situated in an optimal location. New members that share the same sentiment as I did will have an easier time with starting out.

I am not necessarily for or against the addition of new regions or continents, but I do acknowledge the work it takes to add them. Therefore, I would abstain from any talk on this matter until the fine map folks chime in. I don't think this would solve the issue with a near-full map, however, as an increasing amount of plots would likely be filled up in the same manner in the future.
Hi. I'm Scar, and I live in an apartment. I'm the owner of Apartment 11F on NationStates. In TSP-RP, I'm usually seen as Chen "Scar" Xu, an apartment owner who declared sovereignty, Chen "Scar" Xu, an apartment owner and runaway son of two successful galactic businesspeople, or Chen "Scar" Xu, an apartment owner with unknown dimensional capabilities.

Either way, there is a person who calls himself Scar in every universe, and he always lives in an apartment.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scar's post:

I suggested this on the RP server, but I can state it again: users with multiple plots should use their nations.

Another thing that Gianni mentioned, was that we should limit the size/area of one nation.
[-] The following 3 users Like Proctethia's post:

TNP had this situation a while ago in their RP community, and their solution to this problem was expanding the map with new regions of claimable land. Perhaps, we could do that as well.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History
[-] The following 2 users Like Jay Coop's post:
  • GI-Land, Illaois

Expanding the map can be the solution but can be difficult too for the cartographer to make another continent/landmass.

I think it's time that we should implement a new rule. I suggest that we should prohibit Non-RP Players or New Players that just want to be on the regional map from claiming 3 plots, because this can lead to map hoarding, preventing other potential roleplayers that want the plot but are already claimed by someone else. New Players or Non-RP Players could make another plot claim especially if they're 'part of the RP community' or something else.

I'm not against to Map Expansion or Adding New landmasses but like what I said it can be difficult for the person who is gonna make another continent/landmass. But if they can made one then Great!

Anyways it's great seeing our community to expand and let's see other's opinions about this issue.

(02-22-2021, 04:52 AM)Illaois Wrote: Expanding the map can be the solution but can be difficult too for the cartographer to make another continent/landmass.

A full world map already exists, it's just that only the South Pacific portion of it is open for claims.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

I've put a bit of thought into this topic for the last few hours and hope, I'm able to articulate myself in an understandable manner now.

1) While I think, it's a nice idea to let the community do the carographic updating work, I was not convinced yet by the presented solutions, that this is feasible and could work out in the long-run. Therefore I'm in favour of crowning a new head cartographer taking over the business the latest as of June/July 2021.

2) In order to gain more plots, I'd propose to open up our world map, either by making claiming possible anywhere on Pacifica or at least in one more region.

2.1) IF we open up the world map, especially if it shall be opened up in its entirety, I would suggest a map update, which does not add any new nations, but instead gives all nations currently on the map the opportunity to move. This "big move" shall ensure, that older nations have the opportunity to overthink their current location on the map and relocate themselves, if they see another plot on one of the new continents more fitting for them.

2.2) IF we open up the world map entirely, we shall think about having one continent being our "old continent", where claiming will never be possible and where things like the alleged "old Austral Empire" or other NPNs and Non-Player Cultures could be situated. We do not need to detail anything out for this continent (yet), but shall have the possibility in the back of our hands and minds.

3) Currently all TSP-Residents have the right to one plot on our map, however some roleplayers have - understandably - criticised this for it blocking the development of our regional history sometimes.
IF we have the "big move" going on (see 2.1), I'd suggest that all non-roleplay nations, which never have had a certain significance in our regional rp-history shall be asked, on whether they want to stay on the map or not. If they still do want to stay, they may of course, but maybe some players would free up the space.

Additionally for future updates, I'd suggest a soft "activity" policy. Every TSP-resident may have one plot, but only roleplayers may claim up to two more plots, but ONLY when they have been active in roleplay for at least 3, 6 or 12 months (up for debate; personally would favour 6 or 12 months). This rule shall prevent mega-nations from forming and new players hoarding plots.
Another rule tied to that, could include that one of those three plots needs to be a small plot, a.k.a. kind of a revival of the "colony plot rule", if you still remember it, even though a little different this time as those plots shall not be exlcusively for colonies, but just a pool of plots, that people have to choose one out of from, if they want to have three plots.

4) As a last rule, and this is just my personal taste: I'm all for implementing the TNP-rule, that nation names (at least) need to be serious and realistic. Nothing against memes at all, but they shouldn't form a huge part on our regional map (again) and especially not be potentially able to cover the landmass of three bigger plots - even if those meme nations do roleplay.

These are all my thoughts for now. I hope not to have angered anyone with all this Happywide
Signed
Gianluca IV

Roleplayer (active in TSP since 2016)
TSPedia-Author
Head Bartender of the Lampshade Bar & Grill

Information about my roleplay
Pacifica GI-Land, Snolland (Hazelbrust), Guardian of the World Forum, IUFA-FWC/WFWC- and Pacivision Supervisor • 
Aurora Markatt (Maura)
[-] The following 2 users Like GI-Land's post:
  • Illaois, Klô

(02-22-2021, 01:27 PM)GI-Land Wrote: I hope not to have angered anyone with all this

*gets angry for no reason*
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System
[-] The following 3 users Like Kris Kringle's post:
  • GI-Land, Klô, Proctethia

Please take the following as my personal thoughts and not as an attempt to steer or limit the discussion on my part.

I've mentioned it on Discord before, but we have the so-called "entrenched" rules set by the original designer of the TSP map (B&N):

"3. The map can be used by the South Pacific as long as:
a. having a nation in the South Pacific will be the only requirement to stake a primary (first) claim on the map*.
b. the Cartographer will send the updated file to [redacted] after every update (so that I will be updated also)."

So we can definitely limit the amount of allowed claims and have additional requirements for them, but there can be no special requirements for the "primary/first" claim. If we were to have activity requirements for both getting and keeping second and third claims, what should they be? Who would check? Would we contact the players in advance and let them know they risk loosing them, like they do for those about to loose their legislatorship? I can honestly say that I wouldn't want that too as my responsibilities as the map manager, but of course others might. Perhaps we could have a more "passive" rule, where players can only claim one plot at first. Then, after having been on the map for maybe one or two months, they can claim additional plots.

About opening up the other landmasses for claiming. I'm torn. It would be nice to use them more than as decor. It would bring a new dynamic to the RP. But it would also mean more complex map managing. While we have the landmasses and elevation, we don't have a climate or biome map for the rest of Pacifica, which could be a problem too. As an alternative, we could split unclaimed plots to get a few more, but that would perhaps be too short-term. We could also maybe ask B&N if we could change entrenched rule 3a and remove claims that aren't used by the RP community, both forum and RMB. Ultimately though, we must respect B&N's wishes for the TSP map.

When it comes to future map updating, I've come to think that we need to implement more "community managed" content in our RPs, as to not rely on a single player for updating important threads, so I believe there should be several players managing the map in the future. For that we need to use software that is free and easy to use. It's also good if the map is stored in such a way that it can be easily accessed by multiple players, and backed up. After some research and testing, I believe Google Slides or similar can be a good and robust alternative with fair quality. Updates would probably be more frequent and additional benefits include text search to find places on the map and the ability to rapidly browse the theme maps if we add them to, and maybe better viewing on mobile devices (Imgur is terrible on phones).

(Further implementation of "community managed" content could be special pages on our wiki for WF and CPSC stuff. An alternative could be to transfer (by mod action) important threads to e.g. the Speaker of the WF Assemby, including updating them in the OOC duties they have.)
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

[-] The following 2 users Like Qwert's post:
  • GI-Land, Illaois

Quote: Perhaps we could have a more "passive" rule, where players can only claim one plot at first. Then, after having been on the map for maybe one or two months, they can claim additional plots.

That's what I meant. Sorry, I was probably not precise enough.

Quote:We could also maybe ask B&N if we could change entrenched rule 3a and remove claims that aren't used by the RP community, both forum and RMB.

Maybe we could also find a compromise: Government members (both former and currently active) and RPers may claim a plot, while "normal" members not part of either community may not? We should definitely consider talking with him about this.

Quote:so I believe there should be several players managing the map in the future

I'd be open for that, if it works out.

Quote:(Further implementation of "community managed" content could be special pages on our wiki for WF and CPSC stuff. An alternative could be to transfer (by mod action) important threads to e.g. the Speaker of the WF Assemby, including updating them in the OOC duties they have.)

That is a topic for another time in my opinion ^^
First the wiki needs to work again finally, then I can tell you right now e.g. already, that I wouldn't like giving up "my babies" that easily Happywide
Let's focus on the new rules for the map at first :3
Signed
Gianluca IV

Roleplayer (active in TSP since 2016)
TSPedia-Author
Head Bartender of the Lampshade Bar & Grill

Information about my roleplay
Pacifica GI-Land, Snolland (Hazelbrust), Guardian of the World Forum, IUFA-FWC/WFWC- and Pacivision Supervisor • 
Aurora Markatt (Maura)
[-] The following 1 user Likes GI-Land's post:
  • Illaois