We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[Discussion & voting] Composition of Pacifica's Solar System

The composition of the solar system that the planet Pacifica is part of has been discussed before, but it was never finished.

Previous discussion:
2014: https://tspforums.xyz/thread-810.html
2015: https://tspforums.xyz/thread-1980.html
2017: https://tspforums.xyz/thread-5516.html

Let's try to wrap it up and design the composition of the solar system, including names of planets etc.
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

I have a few ideas maybe y'all would like?

central star- Centra (essentially identical to our sun)

planet 1- Vesper (a "Hot Jupiter" planet. average temperature if 1300k, a little over half the mass of jupiter, about just a bit larger in radius. orbits 31 million km from centra.)

planet 2- Erin (Similar to Mercury, but twice as massive. it has a bit of an atmosphere, its average temp is a searing 800k. orbits about 89 million km from Centra.

planet 3- Kaira (a planet with a thick, reflective atmosphere. it is somewhat more massive and twice as big as Venus. Orbits about 109 million km from Centra. average temp is 700k)

planet 4- Pacifica.

planet 5- Aro (mars-like planet. it's icy white color thanks to lack of iron in ground so rust doesnt quite form. additionally, it is like a poisonous snow cover year round. not as massive as Earth but similar in radius. it orbits 216 million km from Centra. average temp is 228k.)

astroid belt.

planet 6- Cirra (Basically Jupiter. i'm thinking it could sustain a large ring system, similar to saturn. average temp is 187k, orbits 345 million km from Centra.)

planet 7- Moyana (about the same size as neptune but a bit less massive. average temp is 163k and orbits 563 million km from Centra.)

planet 8- Charr (This one would be the most massive planet, twice as large as jupiter in radius and mass. average temp is 126k, orbits 1 billion km from Centra. Has patterns of black and blue clouds thanks to high carbon and methane composition.

Beyond Charr but before Isira there is a field of ice and asteroids.

planet 9- Isira (the coldest planet, clocking in at 112k. about 3.5 times as massive as pluto, 3 times as big. It orbits about 4.3 billion km from Centra.

Beyond Isira could be a maaaassive field of ice, comets, and asteroids, similar to the oort cloud. could extend up to 2 ly from Centra.
[-] The following 1 user Likes phoenixofthesun14's post:
  • Royaltica

I've got a few ideas:
  • The central star could be a K-class star (less bright than our sun which is a G-type) close to being a G-class star (like K0-2). (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona...ral%20type 9 spectral type definition.)
  • Another planet that is very similar to Pacifica. The atmosphere, gravity, size and surface composition would be similar. However, it would have a very different flora and fauna (like four headed dragons!). This is could lead to some interesting space exploration role-plays. Although, we'd have to decide on the flora and fauna of the sister planet.
  • We could also include a relatively uninhabitable planet with lots of differences (ie majority O2/CO2 atm). There would be an intelligent species very early on in its development. The planet would be orbited by a moon like Europa.
  • It would be nifty if we could include some "anomaly" far out in the reaches in this solar system.
Just some ideas to throw out there!
Proud member of the South Pacific.

in the 2015 thread it does mention only 1 habitable planet (pacifica) but those are cool ideas!

(06-29-2019, 08:13 PM)phoenixofthesun14 Wrote: in the 2015 thread it does mention only 1 habitable planet (pacifica) but those are cool ideas!
Fair enough. We can scratch out the second habitable planet. However, the other one might pass muster. I would be very cool to see how nations respond to intelligent life. But opening up space exploration roleplays is the most important for me.
Proud member of the South Pacific.

yeah I really want to do space exploration too. Would be fun to have things like NASA and ESA pop up and share findings about the universe Pacifica is in, exploration, etc. Collaborations, maybe build a space station with efforts from all nations.

Space collaborations are the only real possibility of anything more serious than a technocracy in Kringalia’s plot running the space show. Regional ones, of course, it’s difficult for, for example, Resentine to effectively manage a space program with Imkitopia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ProfessorHenn
Legislator

One idea for the properties of the central star- perhaps an HgMn star? (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury-ma...prov=sfla1)

Hear me out: 
Star: Sunon/Stelo (Esperanto)
First Planet: Nike (Hot Jupiter)
Second Planet: Rama (Small, Mercury-like Planet; Named after Arthur Clarke's Rama Series/Hindu God)
Asteroid Belt
Third Planet: Pacifica (Home Planet)
Fourth Planet: Artemis (Slightly Habitable)
Asteroid Belt
Fifth Planet: Grah (Saturn-like Gas Giant; Hindi for Planet)
Sixth Planet: Glaices (Neptune-like Ice Giant; Latin for Ice)
Asteroid Belt (Like Kuiper Belt)
Comet Cloud
DylanPickle-

Owner of Harmakmis-Gordista and Carta-Agot

Legislator

A Cannibal of Pickles

I like your ideas, but now that I think about it, I think we should have a more Sol-like solar system not to risk designing something that would give non-Earth like orbital properties for Pacifica. I guess something massive like a hot Jupiter could do just that (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Following the same logic, if there were a habitable planet close to Pacifica, it would have unpredictable effects on Pacifica's civilisations (colonisation of that planet would have occurred from the 60s).

Having a couple of gas giants is a good idea (to get some vacuum cleaning done and get rid of dangerous asteroids Happywide ).
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

[-] The following 1 user Likes Qwert's post:
  • Imperial Frost Federation