We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Regional history - help needed

I'm working on updating the newcomer guide. The list of important historical events that define the setting for our modern tech roleplay needs an update. So now I'm wondering, which are the major historical events that any new player needs to know about?

Some initial suggestions:

Late 1400s: Some nations have developed ships that can cross the oceans and begin to explore other continents systematically and trade with distant nations.

1600 - 1900: colonial powers from other continents are present in the South Pacific, several of our nations have a colonial past

1650-1775: Pirates plague the cross-Pacific trade. The major stronghold of the pirates is located on Government Island. (This is also part of an explanation of the special status of that island.)

1800s(?): Grovne Conventions, that establish our equivalent of the Geneva Conventions and other international laws.

1920s: Communism arises in the South Pacific

1949-1955: The Great War. A war between a pact of democratic nations and a pact of imperialist/nationalist list nations. The war ends with a decisive defeat of the imperialist side.

2014-2015: Capitalist-Communist Wars? I'm not sure what actually survived all that retconning.

2017: Foundation of the World Forum

2017-2018: Serevan War. Ethnic tensions in Erinor escalate into a civil war where the opposing sides receive significant backing from various nations...

2017-: The Reizen Civil War. Different nations are involved to promote their ideologies and/or enforce peace. Developing into a proxy war and maybe a Second Great War.

What have I missed?

These events would need to be completed with some more facts, like which were the major nations and what effect they had.
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

(10-12-2019, 10:01 AM)Qwert Wrote: 2014-2015: Capitalist-Communist Wars? I'm not sure what actually survived all that retconning.

Good question. Looking back at my notes, between 2013 and 2016 we RPd the Dome War, the war against The Seventh Alliance, the Sporaltryan War, the Ryccian Civil War and the Darkstrait Civil War. No idea if any of this can be considered canon. 

Regarding my nations, I would add:
  • 1600 - 1900: colonial powers from other continents are present in the South Pacific (on the account of Bruuma and Puerto Pollo) 
  • 1920s: Communism arrives in the South Pacific (on the account of Kai Fa)
[-] The following 1 user Likes VPRB's post:
  • Qwert

(10-15-2019, 10:47 AM)VPRB Wrote: Good question. Looking back at my notes, between 2013 and 2016 we RPd the Dome War, the war against The Seventh Alliance, the Sporaltryan War, the Ryccian Civil War and the Darkstrait Civil War. No idea if any of this can be considered canon. 

Regarding my nations, I would add:
  • 1600 - 1900: colonial powers from other continents are present in the South Pacific (on the account of Bruuma and Puerto Pollo) 
  • 1920s: Communism arrives in the South Pacific (on the account of Kai Fa)

Good additions. I'll add them to the list.

The Dome War I barely remember, but I think it was sci-fi, like the Invasion of the Seventh Alliance. Neither would be canon.

Perhaps @Ryccia, @Qvait and @ProfessorHenn know what is still canon from the other wars?
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

Depends on how canon Sporaltryus is now that it’s no longer a nation on the map.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ProfessorHenn
Legislator

(10-15-2019, 04:51 PM)ProfessorHenn Wrote: Depends on how canon Sporaltryus is now that it’s no longer a nation on the map.

It could be added as a secondary plot for you. I'm also considering a "fixed nation system" to preserve nations that have hand an important influence on region-wide canon history to have some continuity. In Sporaltryus' case it would depend on whether the related wars are still canon and considered important or not.
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

The Great War of 2014 (Sporaltryus War) is important to my country's history, so Sporaltryus must still be canon.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

(10-15-2019, 04:56 PM)Qwert Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 04:51 PM)ProfessorHenn Wrote: Depends on how canon Sporaltryus is now that it’s no longer a nation on the map.

It could be added as a secondary plot for you. I'm also considering a "fixed nation system" to preserve nations that have hand an important influence on region-wide canon history to have some continuity. In Sporaltryus' case it would depend on whether the related wars are still canon and considered important or not. 

I believe we could apply a stretch of plausibility here. I see the logic of your proposal, but we risk filling up the map with inert nations.

(10-15-2019, 10:04 PM)Qvait Wrote: The Great War of 2014 (Sporaltryus War) is important to my country's history, so Sporaltryus must still be canon.

Same.  I would consider Ryccian and Darkstrait civil wars canon too, but those are optional to my history.
I confirm Dome and 7th Alliance were sci-fi. Funny but definitely non-canon.
Brother Unclepear
Dear Leader of the Voodoo People's Republic of Bruuma

Representing also

El Pollo Diablo
Boss Maximo of the Estado Libre Asociado of Puerto Pollo

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Chairman Lo Pol
Core Leader of the People's Republic of Kai Fa

There’s a definite leap of faith when it comes to that “fixed nations system”, as who is stopping anyone from also declaring a war and doing a lot to try to ensure their nation will always remain? Or pulling a Sporaltryus, in short.

ProfessorHenn
Legislator

(10-16-2019, 03:55 AM)VPRB Wrote: I believe we could apply a stretch of plausibility here. I see the logic of your proposal, but we risk filling up the map with inert nations.

A valid concern. Currently almost half of the plots are claimed, but an inert nation every few years wouldn't be a problem.

(10-16-2019, 01:08 PM)ProfessorHenn Wrote: There’s a definite leap of faith when it comes to that “fixed nations system”, as who is stopping anyone from also declaring a war and doing a lot to try to ensure their nation will always remain? Or pulling a Sporaltryus, in short.

If enough people engage in that RP and if it greatly influences the regional canon, I don't think this would be a problem. Our community I believe wouldn't allow godmod wars.
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

[-] The following 1 user Likes Qwert's post:
  • GI-Land

I agree with Qwert, in keeping some inert nation’s that contributed to the history of the forum rp isn’t a problem.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Imperial Frost Federation's post:
  • GI-Land