We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[Discussion] Origin and migration of modern humans

So, I was about to work on the wiki article about Sedunn, specifically its pre-history, but I realised too much is unknown about human migration to complete that chapter. We have actively left origin and migration routes of modern humans vague, but thinking about it, I believe it would be really nice to have a rough idea about prehistoric migration. If we established these things, there will be some implications for individual players. But I think players can be able to opt out from having people settling in their particular plots (for whatever reason they like) at the of the main migration waves, and have it happen later anyway they like.

To establish the origin and migration routes, I'm thinking we'd find areas in the TSP region that have the same climate as the RL areas which are generally believed to be the origin of modern humans, then vote to decide which one of these is the IRP origin. Then we'd draw the migrations routes and hopefully end up with something like this.

Tell me what you think. Status quo? Another approach? Extra-TSP origin?
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

[-] The following 2 users Like Qwert's post:
  • GI-Land, Klô

Personally I would prefer the modern human to be based outside of TSP and migrate into our areas ~150,000 - 300,000 years ago.

Why I would prefer that is simply based on the problems, that could arise, if one or a number of nations could be defined as "cradle of humanity" in TSP, similar to when nations define themselves as a cradle of political or cultural systems or inventions, which would give them by default more power or other advantages over others.

In those cases we have ruled also, that the origins of such things lay outside of the TSP-region, so I don't see why we should set something like the development of modern humans or their first major societies into our regional borders.
Signed
Gianluca IV

Roleplayer (active in TSP since 2016)
TSPedia-Author
Head Bartender of the Lampshade Bar & Grill

Information about my roleplay
Pacifica GI-Land, Snolland (Hazelbrust), Guardian of the World Forum, IUFA-FWC/WFWC- and Pacivision Supervisor • 
Aurora Markatt (Maura)

I'm not sure all things like religion and ideology necessarily originated outside TSP, as long as we leave it vague, they could have originated in TSP too. Not all major inventions coul have their origins outside TSP, because that would mean the region was "under-developed" until maybe the 17th century or so. Regarding "cradle of humanity", I don't think there would be any specific benefits to nations residing in this region.
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

[-] The following 1 user Likes Qwert's post:
  • GI-Land

Looks at how powerful and successful the cradle and humanity is in RL ?

Admittedly there would be some prestige in being the craddle, but there's not much more to it. Maybe higher density of palaeontologists and archaeologists?
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

I don’t really mind, so long as humans are in Bailtem in 10000bce at the latest. But I guess if it was in the outside world that would give them the advantage to then be colonisers.

It's probably more of a coincidence who became colonisers and the colonised. My uneducated guess is that wherever different cultures could exchange ideas and where there's enough food so that not everyone has to hunt or gather, higher civilisations are able to develop. So a "head-start" by having humans early is not essential.
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

Since the cradle of humanity in TSP would be laid into the hands of a group of rp-ers, it's also their decision on how this area developed. There could also be a potential of them becoming one of the first canon societies.
Just because IRL the area, where the first humans were situated, didn't become the first well-developed society, doesn't mean, it couldn't have developed that way.

Being home to the first societies would also mean one of the first instances of trade, that happened, would have happened in these regions. A heads-up on certain developments and technologies in comparison to other areas of TSP would be given too. More prestige and ancient buildings, that are good for tourism, could potentially result in more soft-power right from the start. And that nation or this group of nations could also hold - to a certain extent - the power to be the defining individual(s) on how history in other parts of TSP has (started to) play out a.k.a. they can partly decide the earliest period of time, when nations could have formed on other continents of the TSP-region and how they could have formed.
If we wouldn't let this happen, we just do it the other way around and we as a group decide partly already on the history of one or several plots on the map, without needing the consent of an existing or yet-to-come rp-er, which is imo problematic.

I can see, why you don't see a problem in all this, but I'd at least wanted to make my stance on this heard and hope, that you can understand my point of view as well.

EDIT: My English was a mess, sry
Signed
Gianluca IV

Roleplayer (active in TSP since 2016)
TSPedia-Author
Head Bartender of the Lampshade Bar & Grill

Information about my roleplay
Pacifica GI-Land, Snolland (Hazelbrust), Guardian of the World Forum, IUFA-FWC/WFWC- and Pacivision Supervisor • 
Aurora Markatt (Maura)
[-] The following 1 user Likes GI-Land's post:
  • Qwert

Well, we have other rules limiting how powerful or developed a nation can be. Claiming to have had, say, a 16th century civilisation since 30,000 BC would certainly be against the rules. Our civilisations generally follow the RL "template".

I don't think the first instances of more advanced trade or other major breakthroughs happened in the RL cradle, rather in places where many different civilisations could meet and exchange ideas.

Buildings, like the first cities, are relatively late in human history, like only a few thousand years ago, compared to the hundreds of thousand years modern humans have been around. I think the earliest traces of cities or man built structures can be found in Turkey, but I don't believe they are a major tourist attraction. High-prestige monuments, like the pyramids, the great wall of China etc were built long after modern humans had migrated from their cradle.

To prevent owners of the cradle plots from influencing others, we can simply say that yes, humans migrated from here, and life was like this and that for them, but that can't be changed. Just like some plots happen to have a volcano, or the montane biome for instance.

You raise good points, and this is a good discussion.
Roleplayer
Roleplay moderator

[-] The following 1 user Likes Qwert's post:
  • GI-Land

What if we deliberately say that the scientific/historical record is unclear? Based on some quick googling it doesn't seem like RL scientists are quite in agreement about when humans first migrated out of Africa, and in any case there is some evidence that migration took place in multiple waves. I think it should be really quite easy for players to opt out of any timeline we decide by adopting a comparatively earlier/later offshoot of any migration wave we decide on.

I personally don't think nations in the cradle have to have any more power than anyone else, but if that is a concern would an extra-TSP origin address that issue? If we basically let everyone pick a migration wave (or opt out completely) then it seems to me like nobody would have that kind of advantage. I think the only constraints this might pose would be the first South Pacificans would probably have to be quite adept at seafaring but I would imagine there would be fewer dependencies on other RPer's histories if that's the concern.
[Image: flag%20of%20esfalsa%20animated.svg] Esfalsa | NationStatesWiki | Roleplay | Discord

[Image: rank_officer.min.svg] [Image: updates_lifetime_2.min.svg] [Image: defenses_lifetime_4.min.svg] [Image: detags_lifetime_3.min.svg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Pronoun's post:
  • Klô, Qwert