We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Declassified: Belschaft & NK

The Council on Regional Security has come across a series of serious logs involving Empire, Osiris, and Belschaft. Given the nature of the logs, we believe it is important for this information to be shared with the community, insofar as it doesn't harm our security. Below is a summary of the logs. The logs in whole are attached to this dossier.

Who Is Involved
- Neo Kervoskia. Aka Griffin. Founding member of Empire & current Pharaoh of Osiris
- Adytus. Member of Empire & current Guardian and Chief Vizier of Osiris.
- Belschaft. Local Councillor of The South Pacific.

Log between Adytus and Neo Kervoskia
Conversation took place on or before September 21, 2016.
  • In the first of these logs, which we believe are very credible, Neo Kervoksia had a conversation with Adytus about the future of Osiris's foreign policy. The two spoke of their desire for Osiris and its partners to "collectively dominate foreign affairs."
  • Adytus proposed that Osiris would need to be "politically aggressive like the defenders" and ensure that Osiris has sympathetic allies in target regions who will act according to Osiris's interests.
  • Additionally, Adytus suggested that the best way to achieve this goal was to "work with competing factions" in target regions and "encourage [our own] citizens to get dual citizenship in regions that could be a threat, like TSP."
  • Neo Kervoskia responded to these suggestions with agreement, saying that "GCRs must always watch out."

The plan described above has been corroborated by sources with intimate knowledge of Empire's agenda and patterns of behavior. The infiltration of target regions with the intent to cause divisions fits Empire MO, and TSP has already experienced an attempt at this before. The CRS thus takes this plan seriously. As of late, a few high-ranking members of the Osiris government have sought legislator status in TSP.

Log between Belschaft and Neo Kervoskia
Conservation took place on or before November 25, 2016
  • In this log, Belschaft is contacted by Neo Kervoskia shortly after his accession to the throne of Osiris.
  • The conversation is mostly pleasantries, the type unexpected from Belschaft, who had said in public recently that "[Neo Kervoskia] is a shark who would fuck over TSP in a heartbeat if he could get away with it and benefit from it."
  • Belschaft, unprompted by Neo Kervoskia, asked if he would like him to "do anything" in TSP, and to act as a back channel for Osiris. Neo Kervoskia responded that he would like Belschaft to inform him of anything that would be detrimental to Osiris, either rumors or more serious threats. To this, Belschaft responded that he will work to discourage anti-Osiris and anti-Empire thinking in TSP.

Belschaft ran for Delegate a month later, and then Minister of Foreign Affairs in the last election, both powerful positions in TSP's government that would be useful for doing the above. The CRS strongly believes that Belschaft's offer to aid Empire is a serious and shocking act, given that Empire is currently TSP's only official declared enemy. Empire is currently a Prohibited Organization, with the CRS and the Assembly believing that it is hostile to TSP. The CRS believes this offer is nothing less than aiding an enemy.

The contents of the above logs have been shared with the Cabinet. They are now being shared with the Assembly because legislators have a right to know and so appropriate action can be taken to ensure the long-term security of the region is preserved. While the Committee has little legal recourse to address the current security situation on its own, it is willing to provide context and guidance and to assist the Assembly and the Cabinet in enforcing all measures deemed necessary.

Appendix A
Log between Adytus and Neo Kervoskia

Code:
Griffin - Today at 5:44 PM
Hail.
Adytus - Today at 5:46 PM
Hail.
How's it going.
Griffin - Today at 5:46 PM
It's going well and yourself?
Adytus - Today at 5:47 PM
I've been alright. One of those days where you are just tied all day.
* tired
Griffin - Today at 5:48 PM
Trust me I know the feeling.
Adytus - Today at 5:50 PM
Haha probably an early night for me tonight. I spent most of last night writing that campaign.
Griffin - Today at 5:51 PM
Then won't take too much of your time. I'm trying to speak to each of the candidates for Chief Vizier, not only as Heir Apparent, but also as a citizen. Nothing formal just a private conversation so that we may get a chance to discuss ideas. Because we could be working together one day.
Adytus - Today at 5:52 PM
Oh of course!
And take your time, please. I'm hours away from bed anyway.
Griffin - Today at 5:54 PM
Your interest in foreign affairs is encouraging, particularly about joining the Sovereignty Accords. How familiar are you with NPO and TWP - or how would you begin the process of establishing those relations?
Adytus - Today at 6:00 PM
I'm not super familiar with TWP, but I know they just got a new delegate that most of the raiders seem to believe will do a great job right off the bat. I'm a citizen in the Pacific too, and have had to learn what and how it works there for some time now. With regards to TWP, Fedele seemed to know the new delegate, and I would probably reach out to him directly with Fedele, or someone that knows him better than I do through discord or Skype so we can take with him and his team about where to go from there. We would also open a dialogue with the Emperor of the Pacific too. From what I can tell we all have a lot in common, same interests and such, and I would probably stress that.
Lazarus-TP relations are terrible, and so are our relations with Lazarus. And since everyone in the alliance doesn't have elections for their delegate, I think we would fit right in.
We can also review if Balder has any standing agreements with TWP or TP that are not about the alliance and center our reach outs through them. There is a lot of ways to tackle this.
Griffin - Today at 6:04 PM
First - I have a terribe habit of being overly verbose and unneccessarily formal, so I do apologize. Let's just talk. Second, Badger, from what I've gathered, will more willing to open up talks.
It's important to reach out to regions who's ideas are structure are similar to ours.
Adytus - Today at 6:07 PM
Haha it's fine. It doesn't seem terribly formal. Plus, as an added benefit to the alliance, if BT is elected delegate in Lazarus soon it may hinder any attempt on his part to come knocking on our door again.
I also want to establish was kind of counter to TNP's WA voting block, and that alliance may just be the way to do it
Griffin - Today at 6:07 PM
Lazarus's early attempts to reach out to us were half-hearted at best.
Ah, so balance in the GCRs.
Adytus - Today at 6:09 PM
If we are smart, perhaps we can turn the balance into our favor, and collectively dominate foreign affairs.
I get treated like shit in Lazarus, so half-hearted sounds like them.
Griffin - Today at 6:10 PM
To my knowledge they still have not recognized us as the legitimate government of Osiris.
Adytus - Today at 6:11 PM
And they still have Cormac, Tim, and some others PNGed.
Griffin - Today at 6:11 PM
We are a long way away from establishing formal relations again.
Do you forsee a thaw?
Adytus - Today at 6:12 PM
No, not with Thomas delegate.
And Amerion will follow him shortly after.
And then Altmoras.
And they are all Grey Wardens.
Griffin - Today at 6:13 PM
Crap - must brb. Sorry for the abrupt pause.
Adytus - Today at 6:13 PM
And Amerion was banned from here because of it just a few days ago. Lazarus will have to cycle threw them running the place first before a thaw begins. And it's ok, haha
If Yuno sticks in there, she may be elected delegate one day and that would be perfect for us.(edited)
Griffin - Today at 7:12 PM
Back.
So things will get worse before they get better?
Adytus - Today at 7:13 PM
Yeah.
Looks that way.
And welcome back.
Griffin - Today at 7:14 PM
Have we solved TGW issue though?
Adytus - Today at 7:14 PM
No. Just in Lazarus or in general?
Griffin - Today at 7:15 PM
Both.
Adytus - Today at 7:17 PM
Well, to fix that in the long run, we are going to have to be politically aggressive like the defenders are in their home regions. Always making sure that there are at least a couple friendly citizens in Lazarus, or wherever they are that is important so keep those regions from outright nonsense.(edited)
Plus, I think they are feeling the heat, specially if BT's commendation fails. If BT becomes delegate of Lazarus he will have to direct his efforts there rather than the Grey Wardens. They may get smaller.
Syb and I are going after RIA's commendation too, since they have back tracked on everything they were commended for in the first place by siding with the Wardens.
I don't think there is a sure fire way to complete remove them, but we can do our best to make it suck to be a Warden.
Griffin - Today at 7:23 PM
WA is a greatly valuable, yet grossly under used, foreign policy tool.
Adytus - Today at 7:23 PM
Yes!
Griffin - Today at 7:23 PM
Would you incoporate more into Osi's diplomatic arsenal?
Adytus - Today at 7:24 PM
More foreign affairs tools? Of course. Whatever is necessary to get the job done; however, stopping short of anything that would backfire on Osiris, or be generally negative in the long run.
Oh, I'm sorry. You meant the WA.
Yeah, I plan to use that whenever and wherever I can.
Griffin - Today at 7:26 PM
Sorry - meant incorporate more WA into....etc. etc.
Adytus - Today at 7:26 PM
It's like having the international community confirm out point of view.
The alliance will be extremely helpful if we can coordinate voting times, and proposals too.
Griffin - Today at 7:27 PM
Going into old player mode - I remember the days when wars were fought with massive armies and late night missions. Those days are largely over. We require new and more subtle ways to win modern wars.
Adytus - Today at 7:28 PM
Yeah. I agree.
We can't simply invade Lazarus for example.
The best way to handle that would be to make sure we work with competing factions in the government, or outright encourage some of our own citizens to get duel citizenship in regions that could be a threat, like TSP for example.
I think we were talking about a hostile TSP some time ago in the gov chat, but I don't think anything serious came of it.
Haha I want to win foreign affairs Griffin
Griffin - Today at 7:32 PM
GCRs must always watch out.
Adytus - Today at 7:33 PM
Some of them hardly have anyone watching at all.
I there is are somewhere close to 6 of us in the RR now.
Gradea tried to reapply but some FRA guy kept kicking him out.
Oh, speaking of which.
Griffin - Today at 7:36 PM
Hm?
Adytus - Today at 7:36 PM
Funk hasn't done much to change the state of affairs over there since he became AC. I think if someone brings up leaving again, and pushes it to vote, Lazarus will leave.
Which would pretty much be the end of the FRA I am told.
Griffin - Today at 7:38 PM
What do you think of our raider-alignment and how should we proceed further?
Adytus - Today at 7:41 PM
I think we should keep it, and strengthen it by creating long term partnerships with other raider regions, intensely recruiting for the military with regional telegrams, rmb post, and through the forum.(edited)
Osiris should be the center for raiding.
Griffin - Today at 7:43 PM
Does our government structure currently faciliates that?
Adytus - Today at 7:45 PM
Yeah. We can certainly change it if we find a better way, but I believe I can have the Viziers carry all that out.
The Pharaoh does not need to be some raider God. The less those positions are directly associated with raiding, it may give us some flexibility in FA.
Griffin - Today at 7:48 PM
The army is a recruitment tool - more raids, more successes, more recruits, more citizens. I'd likden the Pharaoh's role to that of the US President being commander-in-chief. Let the generals carry out the missions.
liken*
Adytus - Today at 7:49 PM
Yeah, I understand that. Let the generals carry out the missions is a better way of putting it.
We are going to have to be on top of the raider reports.
Both on our on forum, and on NS.
We may grab some experienced recruits that browse the forum.
Griffin - Today at 7:51 PM
Get the presses running again.
Adytus - Today at 7:53 PM
It may be a good to have a vizier just for publications, instead of pushing it all on the IA vizier and the military vizier.
I'm going to see if we have enough people interested in writing a newspaper.
I know someone, just a few days ago, that posted a news article on the forums. If I can find 2 more of him, it shouldn't be a problem.
Griffin - Today at 7:55 PM
Even could be a weekly publication.
Adytus - Today at 7:56 PM
Yeah, something not terribly long but not looking terrible either.
I think the content can be wide ranging.
It may help us get more people willing to write.
Hm.
Griffin - Today at 8:02 PM
Thank you Adytus. You've been gracious with your time. While I don't participate in elections, I appreciate your energy and wish you well.
Should you ever need to talk in the future, I'm always available.
Adytus - Today at 8:03 PM
Thank you, it has been great! I really enjoyed myself. Wish you the best, Griffin.
And I'll keep that in mind!

Appendix B
Log between Belschaft and Neo Kervoskia

Code:
Griffin - Today at 11:01 AM
Hail.
It's  been quite a while so I wanted to say hello.
Belschaft - Today at 11:08 AM
Heyo
Congratulations on your new Emperor-ship
Griffin - Today at 11:10 AM
Thank you. I imagine there's a pool going on when I'm going to raise the Empire flag.
I acknowledge I've earned that reputation.
Belschaft - Today at 11:14 AM
Heh
If there is, I'm not currently in it; not active in mil GP these days, so less of the rumours reach me
Griffin - Today at 11:15 AM
I'm far used to spreading rumors than being part of rumors.
How are things your way anyway?
Belschaft - Today at 11:16 AM
Not too bad
TSP isn't awful, nor is RL
Yourself?
Griffin - Today at 11:18 AM
I did not imagine I'd be Pharaoh a week before Thanksgiving. The transition has been remarkably smooth.
Belschaft - Today at 11:18 AM
nods
Well, Cormac did ban most of the people who might have opposed your accession, and the remaining troublemakers are yourself, Nee and co.
Griffin - Today at 11:22 AM
Some of whom I would have preferred remain in Osiris, but Cormac cleared the room and now I'm the unquestioned authority.
Now it's time to govern.
Belschaft - Today at 11:23 AM
nods
Griffin - Today at 11:23 AM
Which for now consists of rectifying grievences and making sure Osiris doesn't pay for my past actions.
Someone told me I've been equated to the 'Nazi Who Said Sorry'.
Belschaft - Today at 11:30 AM

Well, everyone has to deal with their reputations and past
But comparing you to a Nazi is just absurd
Griffin - Today at 11:33 AM
Regardless I'll work through it. I don't expect the greater GCR community to trust me, but I want to try to get Osiris on the right footing.
Syberis has been nominated as Heir Apparent and if he's approved I'm determined to get us out of this rut before it's his time to rule.
Belschaft - Today at 11:36 AM
nods
Cormac has left you something of a mess
Is there anyone who he didn't pick a fight with in the last year?
Griffin - Today at 11:38 AM
I'm sure there are some nations who've been refoundeds since he left.
Belschaft - Today at 11:39 AM
I meant region wise
Griffin - Today at 11:40 AM
TWP possibly.
Belschaft - Today at 11:40 AM
nods
Griffin - Today at 11:41 AM
I'm venting - apologies.
Belschaft - Today at 11:41 AM
No worries, everyone needs to vent now and again
If you don't you end up doing what I do, and pick pointless fights with Glen-Rhodes
Griffin - Today at 11:42 AM
He wished me well, in his own unique way.
Belschaft - Today at 11:45 AM
nods
Griffin - Today at 11:45 AM
Anyway, thank you for being generous with your time. Just popping by.
Belschaft - Today at 11:46 AM
No worries
Feel free to poke me anytime
Griffin - Today at 11:46 AM
Hail.
Belschaft - Today at 12:18 PM
o7
Griffin - Today at 2:52 PM
Cormac's WA is back in Osiris. I am aware of it, but letting you know before rumors spread.
Belschaft - Today at 2:53 PM
Lol
That was a short retirement
Anything you want me to do in TSP? I'm not actually in the government these days
So if you want me to act as back channel you've got to let me know
Griffin - Today at 2:57 PM
As Heir Apparent I focused solely on domestic affairs so I'm unfamiliar with many of the neweer people. If you would keep an eye on things - any rumors that may be detrimental to Osiris, or any possible threats. I also want to reach out to TSP eventually, but I don't believe they would be receptive now. Peoeple still have Empire madness and I want to put that to rest.
Belschaft - Today at 3:00 PM
nods
Coolio
I can work to discourage any "Osiris bad, Empire bad" thinking
Griffin - Today at 3:04 PM
Thank you.

The above is a draft statement. Incoming Cabinet members should familiarize themselves with the information here and provide their thoughts.

Of immediate concern is whether or not we will launch a treason trial against Belschaft based on the log between him and NK.

Now that the new Cabinet is seated, it would be prudent to get this statement out ASAP. We also need to discuss who, if anyone, will bring charges against Belschaft.

So, my thinking is that this is something that deserves watching (and watching closely) but isn't enough to base any kind of criminal case on. There's just not enough in NK's conversation with Belschaft to suggest anything underhanded is really going on. Anything read into this based on perceptions of character will still only be read into it and I'm not really comfortable pushing for a trial on that basis.
By all means, feel free to convince me otherwise.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

The CRS has been "watching" since last December. We've seen high-level Osiris officials come into TSP. And now we see Belschaft having a pretty damning chat with NK, and then running for office on a platform explicitly about being more friendly with Osiris and Empire.

The immediate response to these security issues cannot be to watch, ad infinitum. That cuts to the criticism Roavin is making about our regional institutions' competence. "Watching" is an inadequate response now-- what exactly are we looking for? A big sign saying "I'm working with Empire"? We're not going to get it. That we have these logs is honestly pure dumb luck. We have enough evidence pointing us in an obvious direction. The longer the response is just sit and wait, the more impossible the issue will be to take care of. The threat here is a slow infiltration by Osiris officials on behalf of an Empire agenda. We have as close to a smoking gun as we're going to get: a private chat log outlining that exact plan. And now we have logs of Belschaft saying he will promote Osiris's interests in TSP.

It's easy to say that our prerequisite for acting should be "beyond reasonable doubt." But this is an online game. Schemes are concocted through private chats and only see the light of day when somebody fucks up with pastebins or defects. We have more evidence than we probably ever will have, saying that NK has a plan (be it amorphous or otherwise), and Bel says he'll work for NK/Osiris.

For the record if we do decide to press charges I'd be forced to recuse myself as Justice myself due to my CRS membership, and as such am getting involved anyway.

I would also like to mention that if we don't want to go to trial, there is an interpretation of the Charter that would allow a "security threat" declaration of sorts.
Quote:Legislator Eligibility

3. All residents of the Coalition are eligible to attain legislator status through application with the Chair, predicated on the Chair ensuring they are not seeking membership in bad faith, are not attempting to obscure their identity, are not attempting to join with multiple nations, and the Council on Regional Security does not declare them a significant risk to regional security. Any member of the Assembly may publicly petition the Chair for or against a prospective legislator’s admission.

4. Continued legislator status requires active membership and good behavior. The Chair will remove legislator status from any person absent for three non-concurrent Assembly votes; legislators who have an approved leave of absence from the Chair shall not be considered absent. Additionally, the Chair may suspend privileges for disruptive members. Frequent suspensions may be grounds for ineligibility, if found appropriate in a fair trial by the High Court.
Since the clause only deals with eligibility rather than applications there's no reason it can't be applied at any time. It's not the firmest interpretation but it is nonetheless a fully valid one. I'm not saying we do it, just that it's an option if we want to revoke his legislator abilities.

In addition to the above, there is a third possibility. I know some here see it as irresponsible, but as a last resort, the dossier can simply be made public and the Assembly can do with it what they will. I think these logs are damning and, given proper explanation, many will want something to be done.

So we have three choices here:

1. Prepare a criminal trial
2. Utilize the interpretation above (which will likely be challenged, so we'd need to be prepared to defend it)
3. Let the political system deal with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(02-22-2017, 06:38 AM)sandaoguo Wrote: In addition to the above, there is a third possibility. I know some here see it as irresponsible, but as a last resort, the dossier can simply be made public and the Assembly can do with it what they will. I think these logs are damning and, given proper explanation, many will want something to be done.

So we have three choices here:

1. Prepare a criminal trial
2. Utilize the interpretation above (which will likely be challenged, so we'd need to be prepared to defend it)
3. Let the political system deal with it

So, I feel like the second option is what we had utilized against Bel in the past. The idea that we take someone's legislator status without actually removing them from the region is somewhat problematic. 

I mean, I don't exactly what you mean by "political system," per se? Are you thinking of enacting legislation again him? Or just assuring he's never trusted in the region again? (Already, that seems to be the case on the forums.)
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

Basically, I think there would be enough support to give the CRS the power to remove somebody from the region. That was removed at the last Great Council by me, because there's always been the cloud of the last time the security threat power was used by the Cabinet. I didn't feel like it was a good time to revisit it, since it might've sunk the entire GC. But sooner or later we'll need to have a debate about security powers, because nobody has any solid powers right now.

I can imagine the Assembly passing that law with the intent to apply it to this case.

I can also see a criminal case being brought up by somebody outside the CRS/Cabinet. I hinted at the justification for charges in the dossier-- saying that it's "aiding an enemy."

Any thoughts, guys?